Itty Bitty Effects patch bay

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bud Angelotti

Itty Bitty Effects patch bay

Post by Bud Angelotti »

Hi folks, I would like to have a little 1/4 patch bay that sends and returns to my amps effects send and returns.
Now, as I'm sure you are aware, if we unplug anything from that send or return, like a volume pedal, or effects unit, the sound is gone. The effects send/return circuit is incomplete.
So what I'd like to do is have a little patch bay, say 3 or four channels with send and returns per channel, that ties into the effects send/return on the amp, and completes the circuit by itself, so that if nothing is plugged into that little bay, it still passes signal thru send/return. It's not powered like a onespot. Its purpose is not to power effects.
It's not powered at all if possible.
It's to be able to patch and remove effects/volume pedal right into the send/return of the amp. Unplug the volume pedal from the bay, the amp still sounds.
Not a mixer - any ideas?
And did I mention, I'm CHEAP.
Thanks all!!
Bud
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Seems like you could easily do that with as many L12a's as you want.
Ken Morgan

Post by Ken Morgan »

There are several loop pedals available on Reverb,etc. they have a master in and out, with anywhere from 2-10 fully bypassing loops. They use power only to light the on/off LEDs.

Example
https://reverb.com/item/4201311-america ... ve-5-loops
67 Shobud Blue Darling III, scads of pedals and such, more 6 strings than I got room for

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I built a looper like the one mentioned. You can cut in or out as many circuits as you want (as many as you build or buy). It also had a tuner out and a master bypass. It is extreme overkill for my gigging needs today but it was an cool and ideal solution at the time. Nice, too, in that you did not need to activate stiff stomp switches on a pedal board precariously balanced on its case, by your side. You can leave all the FX units on and switch them at the looper.

Here is another company that I've got bookmarked:
https://www.loop-master.com/
Chris Tarrow

Post by Chris Tarrow »

+1 for https://www.loop-master.com/, makes reliable no-frills units in almost any configuration.
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

If I'm understanding you correctly, it could be done. No power required, using Neutrik NMJ4HFS or Switchcraft N112A jacks. These have a set of contacts that are normally closed, but open when you put a plug in the jack. Daisy chain the FX send/receive jacks like in this drawing. You can use any number of FX send/receive pairs, just keep repeating the wiring pattern. All the shield leads are tied together. You'll need an aluminum enclosure to mount it in; depending on the number of jacks you decide on, a Hammond 1590B or 1590BB or similar should be big enough. Jacks are $2-$3 each and a box is less than $10.
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

WOW - Thanks for the replies !!!
A little looper would be a good way to go.
Jon, your hippy style situation room industrial strength interactive audio hardware communications device is awesome!!
And Mike - you draw me a chart !!! With part #'s.

You folks are above and beyond and I am very fortunate to be in this forum.

Thanks again!
Bud
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.