problem with Eminence Legend 1258

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tim Toberer

problem with Eminence Legend 1258

Post by Tim Toberer »

I don't know much about speakers, but I am pretty sure I got a dud. There is a weird cosmic sounding distortion on the lowest string. On guitar I don't notice it much unless I am playing clean. For a long time I figured it was just my homemade tube amp or my cheap sound hole pickup and I could almost live with it. I put the speaker in my Fender Deluxe cab and the sound is much worse. To confirm I played my Quilter Superblock through several speakers then compared it with this one and sure enough that sound is only there on the Eminence. I also tried it with several different guitars. The sound is hard to describe, it is almost like cosmic echo that gets louder the harder you hit the strings.

Any ideas on a possible fix, or is it $130 paper weight? These are supposed to be good speakers.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

You might want to run your issue by the good folks at Eminence support. They are generally pretty helpful.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:You might want to run your issue by the good folks at Eminence support. They are generally pretty helpful.
That was my next move, but I thought maybe this is a polarity issue or something easy. I am glad at least it isn’t a problem with the amp.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Polarity would not be an issue with only one speaker. If your amp is designed for 4 ohms though it would take just a tad more power with the 8 ohms speaker. Not much though.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

Speaker is under warranty still so they agreed to take it back, not sure if they will fix it or send me a new one. I would fine either way.