Sho~Bud S10s/Pro I’s with 2/2 changers?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Scruggs

Post by Chris Scruggs »

I have a copedent I’d like to put on an S10 steel and I need to have a double lower changer to make it work.

My main steel right now is a mid 70s 6139 with a 2 up/1 down changer. I love the way this guitar feels but I can’t get that second lower I would like.

I know later “Super Pro” style Pro I’s have 3 up/2 down changers, but the string spacing is tighter on these and, if possible, I’d love to get an older style Sho~Bud S10 with Gumby key head and wider string spacing… if I could find one with a double lower changer. I’ve seen a square front double neck Pro II’s with 2 up/2 down changers but hope that changer exists on S10s as well. So far, I haven’t come across any.

Before this goes off topic with “why don’t you just get a brand new modern guitar with 3/3” let me say I’m willing to explore that option even though I greatly dislike the tight string spacing of most new steels but first want to know if I can find something that feels comfortable for my style of playing that mechanically suits my desired requirements.

Thanks! Chris
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I don't know if this is the least bit helpful but my 1975 6160 -- an S-12 with Super Pro style pot metal changer and two hole swivel pullers and gumby headstock -- has 2/2 . It makes me think that yes, you would find a Pro 1 of that vintage that has all of those features.
Jackie Anderson

Post by Jackie Anderson »

Chris, if a string needing a second lower has an unused raise hole, or if an adjacent string has an unused lower hole, you might be able to make do with the "Bradshaw gizmo:"
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

If you're really set on that guitar, the simplest solution might be to swap out the lowering rods for the (slightly) older socket head style rods along with some of the old-style brass tuning barrels. With that setup you you can have as many lowers as you want. You could get by with doing that only on those strings that require multiple lowers. The 2/2 fingers existed for a short while around '76 so there are definitely some S10s out there that would have those and still have the older two-hole pullers like Jon's guitar. The 2/2 and 3/2 fingers are pot metal though (most 2/1 fingers are too) and have a different scissor geometry than the older 1/1 and 2/1 style. Michael Yahl sells repro parts but he seems to be out of stock on that stuff currently. One of your buddies around Nashville must have some used Bud parts in a box you could pilfer tho... Good luck!
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I knew I had seen the config you are talking about somewhere. I found these pics of a friend's guitar that seem to show double lowers. Gumby headstock. One bit of confusion is the 6139 on the label. I thought that was a rack & barrel 3p+ 1k. Could this be a conversion? More likely, I'm just mistaken.

K Maul

Post by K Maul »

It would seem that Jeff from ShowPro could help out with modifications you need. If you haven’t talked to him yet it might be worth a call.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yeah Chris those 2/2 Changers Sho~Bud made are so rare as they were only made maybe barely 2 years, in the transition from 2/1 to 3/2. So you would only really find that finger on 1977 models; then in 1978...BAM!! superpro comes out 3/2.
Soooo; my suggestion which is incredibly easy and just what Ian Worley just said. two barrels, behind two lower pullers with barrel tuning rod on same string....BAM ...on the awesome sho-bud you have.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Chris if you get a chance, try a Jackson. They have the older style 'Bud string spacing if you ever decide to go the route of a new guitar. And Harry is winding the pickups, so you know what they sound like - incredible.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com