David Hartley?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Hap Allen

David Hartley?

Post by Hap Allen »

Where Is David Hartley?

Time passes. We all get old. In 1982, this beginning player was lucky to have spent a week in a class in Nashville with Jeff Newman. After getting me off on the right foot on our '20-year instrument', I made good use of Jeff's instructional materials. Talk about the legacy he left behind.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd wish David Hartley and John Stannard had been there at the time. To learn from David's taste, touch and imagination, not to mention his sense of humor. The two of them together show how much joy two humans can produce. Now with iTunes and YouTube, their playing is practically immortal. (When my own funeral or memorial service comes up, I can think of no better contribution than to play their live rendition of 'Orange Blossom Special.')

I understand John is gone. Is David still with us? I haven't been able to find anything about him online.

Hap
Last edited by Hap Allen on 15 May 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Zahnd

Post by Andy Zahnd »

I saw and spoke to him at the Irish Steel Guitar Festival last year. He is present on Facebook with a lot of humor. I think he is doing well!
Hap Allen

Post by Hap Allen »

Many thanks, Andy. Good news.