Adaptor for input jack? Supro content.

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Todd McMakin

Adaptor for input jack? Supro content.

Post by Todd McMakin »

I just picked up a Supro and it has the screw in instrument cord rather than a standard plug. The store said they make adaptors for these but they were about to close and had already shut down their computers. He also said they could replace the input jack to a standard. For now, Id just like to get the adaptor and leave it as original. Any ideas where I can find one of these or what it's called? Or do you recommend going ahead and changing the input jack out?
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

https://angelainstruments.com/products/ ... tatic-jt30

They may be found cheaper elsewhere, but Angela Instruments always seems to have them in stock.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

What you need is a Switchcraft 332A:
Todd McMakin

Post by Todd McMakin »

Thanks to both of you! That's what I needed to know.

Todd
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

Why buy an adapter when you can get an American made Quantum Audio 20 foot cable?
Todd McMakin

Post by Todd McMakin »

I have some fairly high dollar guitar cables laying around. I think it might be easier to just have an adaptor readily available.
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Robert Murphy wrote: Why buy an adapter when you can get an American made Quantum Audio 20 foot cable?
Because an adapter will let you use any existing 1/4" cable. Much more flexible.
Nick Fryer

Post by Nick Fryer »

Installing new jacks in those is not as easy as you think either.
Todd McMakin

Post by Todd McMakin »

Yeah, an adapter is like $16 so it makes sense to go that route.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Nick Fryer wrote:Installing new jacks in those is not as easy as you think either.
I can attest to that. Got it done once, but it was a bitch! The 332A works well, and does not alter or possibly devalue a vintage instrument. A win/win.
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Great guitar. If anyone (Rick Aiello? Jason Lollar?) is still making replacement magnets it's a worthwhile investment. Having owned a number of Valco instruments with the amphenol connector, I'd lose that thing in a heartbeat. As Nick and Jack say, replacing these things can be a headache (as I remember, the connector is held in place with a nail that's rather hard to access) but well worth the trouble.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

markertek.com clickMC1M lists those things for about $12...cheapest I've seen. Never done any business with 'em...just saw their listing and I dunno about their shipping charges.

Other things to consider are the center buttons on both the old style cable, the adapter and the guitar jack do flatten out some over time and can cause poor contact.

If you case your guitar either way, cable or adapter, it has to come off to close up, so you're taking it off and on every time you case or uncase it causing those contacts to wear down or otherwise make poor contact.....or maybe that's just the old Chicagoan we have....😩
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

If you case your guitar either way, cable or adapter, it has to come off to close up, so you're taking it off and on every time you case or uncase it causing those contacts to wear down or otherwise make poor contact.....or maybe that's just the old Chicagoan we have....😩
Nope,it's not just your Chicagoan. That's one of several problems with these connectors, that the solder nub that forms the centre contact wears down. They're also noisy and prone to breakage.
John Mulligan

Amphenol cord repair

Post by John Mulligan »

I have a National New Yorker lap steel that came with the old cloth cord and screw-on connector. I got a brand-new cord with a screw-on connector. It was pressure-fitted. See the picture posted by Robert Murphy on this page.

At some point, the end came off the cord. Being pressure-fitted, I can see it was never soldered. My question is, how do I repair the cord? The spring on the end doesn't seem to have any effect.

Can I just solder it together to repair the cord? Am I better off getting an adaptor? Everything else on the guitar works great.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

All the best,
John
Jack Hanson

Re: Amphenol cord repair

Post by Jack Hanson »

John Mulligan wrote:My question is, how do I repair the cord?
1) Get a Switchcraft 2501F:

2) Cut off the old connector.

3) Solder the 2501F to your cable.
Tony Oresteen

Post by Tony Oresteen »

Tony
Newnan, GA

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139 '71 Sho-Bud 6140
'82 Sho-Bud 6160 '73 Sho-Bud 6138
'71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black '70??? Fender Champ Lap Steel