50s Dual Professional Steel Switch issue

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dennis Waltman

50s Dual Professional Steel Switch issue

Post by Dennis Waltman »

Hi,
I bought the subject steel yesterday and initially the far PU didn’t produce sound when the switch was in that position. I found the yellow lead from the far PU disconnected from the switch and resoldered it. It’s the far right lug on the first photo. Still no sound although the PU works if jumpered to the output. Testing the switch there is no continuity to that lug.

Can these switches be repaired?

If not, what’s the best source for a replacement?

Any other tips while I’m inside this thing?

I imagine the tone cap is not working well, it’s a 0.05mfd. Would that be the best replacement choice to get a nice Boowhaa tone swell?
Thanks, Dennis
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

The "Fender style" dual pickup switch is available as a new item from several guitar parts retailers, including Sweetwater and Stewmac. Likewise they should have the Fender 250k tone pot and .047mF cap to make it all shiny 😎
Garry Vanderlinde

Re: 50s Dual Professional Steel Switch issue

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

I bought the subject steel yesterday and initially the far PU didn’t produce sound when the switch was in that position. I found the yellow lead from the far PU disconnected from the switch and resoldered it. It’s the far right lug on the first photo. Still no sound although the PU works if jumpered to the output. Testing the switch there is no continuity to that lug.
I had the same problem with a D-8 Rickenbacker that I bought last year. It wasn't the switch. I used a good a good electronics cleaner (looks like you did too), doubled checked the wiring and then found the problem with a short up near the pickup.

I imagine the tone cap is not working well, it’s a 0.05mfd. Would that be the best replacement choice to get a nice Boowhaa tone swell?
The .05 tone cap is original with 250k audio tone and volume pots. But you might want to try a 1meg linear tone pot for the Boo-wah like the Stringmaster. Leave the volume pot 250 audio.
Chris Clem

Post by Chris Clem »

It looks to me like the switch has bent contact on that 2nd lug from the left. They are flimsy were they make contact with the smaller center disk when they are switched for different positions. Look at them closely to be sure they all make contact when they are switched, if they don't just bend them with some needle nose pliers till they do. I have worked on these switches many times and they have always been fixable.

The cap (does it not work?) Caps on guitars are not like caps in a amp. Guitars don't don't have any high voltage in them, so they can last a long time. Generally they either work or they don't.

Always try to keep "ALL parts original" on vintage guitars, there is way to much of this I'll just replace them with new parts......Not unless you have too.