Strings

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Edwards

Strings

Post by Tony Edwards »

To all E-9 pedal steel players:

What do you all consider "the best" pedal steel guitar E-9 strings? (Sound, Tone, breakage factor, gauge, playability, etc.?) I'll go first. Even though he is no longer in business, I consider Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings the winner for me. I also like D'Addario strings. Just curious as to what brand you like the best? I might just try them!

Tony
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

Daddarrio NYXL are my go to's.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

For the last 20 years or so, I've been using SIT the Buddy Emmons sets. For the E9th, those have an .011 instead of .010 on the 3rd string, .018p on the 5th and .038 on the 10th. I find this to help out to thicken the sound on my metal neck Emmons push pull.

I've tried other brands over time, and as far as the tone, to my untrained, old fashioned country western ear, I really can't tell the difference. However, with the SIT brand, I don't have strings breaking anymore. None have sounded off, nor do they go out of tune. Once I put the strings on, step on each of the pedals several times, re tune, do the same engaging all the knee levers and retuning, the strings stay constant. But I also change strings often as well.

BTW, juststrings.com is my go to source for main brand strings at affordable prices. I walked into Guitar Center the other day in Spokane Washington, and they had on the self d'Addario set of E9 pedal steel strings for $18.89, not sure and I don't keep up with prices, but I thought that was really high.
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

GHS PF 500 pure nickel rollerwound (sort of semi- flat) is what I’ve been using for years. Real happy with the sound, longevity, and price from Just Strings.
Johnny Baker

Post by Johnny Baker »

Thanks for the info guys, it's about time to change out my strings on my Simmons. I have already been shopping but can use all the ideas I can get.
I am currently running a Simmons SD10, Peavey Nashville 400 that's packing a 15" BW, Peavey Delta Fex effects processor, and a Match Box. Best rig I've ever run and the sound is truly incredible.
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

NYXL and Stringjoy are both excellent. Heads above other brands I've used.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I used George L's for 35 years. I now use SIT.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Cody Stewart

Post by Cody Stewart »

GHS Boomers. Consistent Tone, no breakage. 6 weeks of playing everyday for 2hrs before they start to dull.
Bolt On’s: Red Belly, Brown Belly, 73 Sho~Bud Pro~II, Fender’s/Peavey’s. If it doesn't sound like 1968, then I probably won’t like it.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

There are very few string brands that make their own strings. Most of the small specialty-instrument brands are private labels made by Darco, D'Addario other "big name brands" and string makers you've never heard of with no retail label; VERY few "draw" wire from steel stock, buy all the wire in bulk and only do the winding...

It's kind of silly paying premium prices for a small, specialty brand set that's actually made by Ernie Ball, D'Addario, GHS etc.

If you buy sets any pure nickel wrap (the warmest steel sets), nickel wound (nickel plated steel) (somewhat brighter), or stainless steel (REALLY bright) strings from a major brand will be about the same and the lowest price...

I buy strings in bulk because I do tech work, so I buy gages/types in bulk. Like the guys mentioned above I really like ground wounds and rollerwounds, which both have a warm sound, nice, smooth feel, and last longer than standard roundwound strings; and at times I'll load up flatwounds. Even though they are stainless they are warm sounding with a smooth top end and last longer than any other string.

All these comments only apply to wound strings - plain steel strings are plain steel wire, and they are all the same except for the color and/or twist style of the ball end!
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

JAGWIRE!! For me for the last 20 years at least.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

GHS Boomers for me on all my guitars except my Martin.

Sam
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

SIT Power Wound here.
I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Live Steel Strings have been my choice for many years. I've tried the rest, but to me, they are the best. Jagwires are a close second.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

D'Addario NYXL's by far the best I have ever used. Perfect strings for my Pearse T. C. bars, great tone, in my opinion, and I have not broken a string since I started using them a while back.

I am a PSG tech., not a pro player so I leave strings on my own guitars until they go dead and then some. They last a long time!

All guitars I work on go out of here with a set of them and I get great feedback!

That said, I went to Buddy's house one day back in the 80's to pick up an EMCI guitar and I popped this same question to him, his reply was, "Free ones", and he did not appear to be kidding.

True story.
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr