Natural finish Stringmaster?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Michael Devito

Natural finish Stringmaster?

Post by Michael Devito »

I've seen many stringmasters with yellow paint. Considering one now, a double neck from the 50s, which has what looks like lacquered or varnish finish, natural wood color.

Did any Stringmasters come that way from the factory, or am I looking at a refinished steel?

Thanks!
Stephen Cowell

Re: Natural finish Stringmaster?

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Michael Devito wrote:I've seen many stringmasters with yellow paint. Considering one now, a double neck from the 50s, which has what looks like lacquered or varnish finish, natural wood color.

Did any Stringmasters come that way from the factory, or am I looking at a refinished steel?

Thanks!
It is probably a refin. Not that big a deal if it comes with a good case and legs, and it all works. Say take off a couple hundred. Probably no decal? Another hundred. The finish on SM's was kinda thin, on my blonde '58 T8 you can see some grain, same for my '56 D8 in walnut. You could order any Fender guitar with Duco (automotive) custom colors, so there's that.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Michael Devito

Post by Michael Devito »

Stephen:

Thanks for chiming in. I'd forgotten about that decal. There is one on this D8, but it's smaller than the decals I'm seeing in non-refin examples. So yes, has to be a refin. Not a bad job either, just not original.
Michael Devito

Post by Michael Devito »

Definitely a refin. Kind of a light natural color. Like so:

I was curious about exact date of this steel. Described as "50s". Popped the near neck tuning plate. Sure enough. 10/56 in a blueish sort of pencil marking.