1929 National Style 2-1/2 - SOLD OFF-SITE

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Ian McLatchie

1929 National Style 2-1/2 - SOLD OFF-SITE

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Up for sale is a 1929 National Style 2-1/2 square neck tricone (same rose-themed ornamentation as the Style 2 but with additional engraving on the handset) in excellent overall condition. The guitar is all original and comes with the original chipboard case, also in excellent condition. The German silver finish has a beautiful lustre with minimal scratching and pitting. Light pick hazing on treble side of cover plate (see photo). With the exception of one dent on the side of the lower left bout and another on the base (see photos), there is no significant body damage apart from a couple of tiny dings on bottom fiddle edge and an isolated bit of wear on the back of the neck (see photos). Original cones resonate beautifully and are rattle-free. Original tuners work perfectly; even after being left untouched for weeks, the guitar remains in tune.

Essentially, I am the second owner this guitar has had in almost a century. According to the dealer from whom I purchased it in 2008, the original owner kept it until her death in the 1970s. After that, it remained under a bed in the family home until the dealer obtained it. I bought it 45 minutes after he posted it online. It’s been one of my all-time favourite instruments and has served me well for a variety of projects. However, I don’t get the chance to use it much anymore and would rather it go to someone who can. It’s a remarkable sounding instrument and a joy to play. Payment by bank transfer or PayPal. Price is $3750 U.S. plus PayPal fees and shipping cost. I pack with obsessive care and will pay for packing materials. Contact me for more photos or additional information.

Last edited by Ian McLatchie on 16 Nov 2023 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Beautiful Guitar!..Ian takes meticulously good care of his belongings and is a wealth of information on styles, artists etc. Best of luck in this sale!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Thanks, Mike. I still have the Rickenbacher Bakelite I bought from you almost twenty years ago. Hope you're doing well.
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Hi Ian; I’m not surprised you do!.. I’m doing great my friend, back at you sir!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Post by Jean-Sebastien Gauthier »

Hi, is it still for sale?
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Hi Jean-Sebastien. Sorry, I neglected to take this posting down in the spring. The guitar was sold through The Twelfth Fret in Toronto.