What tuning compensators does Paul Franklin use on C6th?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Stroud

What tuning compensators does Paul Franklin use on C6th?

Post by Dave Stroud »

There's a wealth of information on common tuning compensators for E9th, but I couldn't find much for C6th in the forum search.

Can anyone share Paul's tuning compensators for C6th?
Lee Gauthier

Post by Lee Gauthier »

Can't say for sure but because I'm not paul but according to the copedent chart he shares in his course he only uses compensators on his E9. I don't think you get the same issues on C6 that people solve with compensators. Mainly is the F# in tune against the B or against the C#.

I'd love to know if anyone is using compensators for other tuning issues tho. It's a very interesting topic to me.
Ian Lambach

Post by Ian Lambach »

What compensators does Paul Franklin use on his E9?

I searched the forum and the only information I could find was on his use of return compensators, not tuning compensators like someone would use on the F#s
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Paul has compensators on the F#'s for pedal one and two for his E9. No compensators are listed for the C6 neck.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Dave Stroud

Post by Dave Stroud »

That's what I needed - thanks!
Tom Spaulding

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Addendum from PFM Facebook Group:

Paul: "I have return compensators on every string that raises and lowers. And tempering compensators on the E9's 1 and 7 strings on both A&B pedals. My C6th setup has tempering lowering compensators on 4&8 located on my floor pedal that lowers the 6th a whole tone."
Dave Stroud

Post by Dave Stroud »

Thank you, Tom! I took a picture of Paul's changer end at a show a few years ago. Referencing that picture and his copedent, I was sure there had to be some tuning comps on the C6.