d-12 to U-12 conversion, weight

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Feldman

d-12 to U-12 conversion, weight

Post by Ben Feldman »

Hello forumites. how much weight do you imagine I could save from converting a 1973 MSA d-12 to a U-12?

Also, would the '73 msa be a good candidate for the a u-12 conversion? limited to 4 holes on each changer finger, no splits...

I've been playing pedal steel for about 2 years now. My d-12 stays set up at home, but when I play out of the house I almost always bring a friend's borrowed GFI s10 because it's so much easier to lug around. Consequently, I haven't been motivated to work up many tunes on the c6 neck even though I love the big chord sound. I have other questions about the merits of universal tuning by my interest is primarily motivated by cutting down weight.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

I converted two D-10s in the seventies and I can tell you that the weight gain is
not as much as you would probably like to and still no comparison to the GFI.
The 73’ msa is a heavy guitar and if you remove a changer and couple of rods you are still left with the same body and the same aluminum frame.

Double raise and double lowers never held Maurice Anderson back to promote his universal tuning. There are ways to work around these limitations.
Two years of experience on a D-12 means you barely touched the possibilities and if you sell it or convert it you will be sorry later
Last edited by Bas Kapitein on 28 Dec 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Roughly 16#(roughly 2#/ea for pedals x5, 3# changer, Neck 2#, Keyhead and tuners 1#, 1# rods). Add back 1# for the new pad. I've done a number of them and disagree about value change. SD12's(IMHO) are way more sell-able than D12's.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

I corrected my comment. Who am I to disagree with Jim.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

You are Bas and my friend- opinions are just that- not facts.
Ben Feldman

Post by Ben Feldman »

Jim and Bas, thank you both for your comments on my weight loss goals for the new year.

Based on Jim's numbers, it sounds like I could shave off 16 lbs if I removed 5 pedals for an extended e9, but only about 6 lbs from removing the changer, rods, neck while keeping all pedals for the universal tuning.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

When I got serious into about playing steel in 1998-99, I bought a 1974 MSA S10 4P X 4KL, Weight in case about 60 lb. A couple years later I bought a MSA D10 8P X 5KL Weight in case 85 lb. It never left home.

In 2017 I went to a GFI S12U 7 Pedals/3 Knee Levers 49lb. in case.

The Heavy cast End Plates, Steel Cross rods, Steel Legs, and Heavy Pedal Bar make cutting weight hard to do.
If you get the guitar down to 70-75 lb. in Case would it be enough, To Gig the guitar.

Its your guitar, Good Luck with your choice.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

About the old die-board MSA's, they're heavy. I removed the rear aluminum cover on mine years ago, that saved a pound. Then I cut off the inner tubes of the legs to save another pound. Every little bit helps when you hauling that thing up flights of stairs. :whoa:

I think Jim's a little generous with his numbers; there's no way the MSA pedals are 2 pounds each, but I figure you might save 12-13 pounds in the conversion. And with a little more effort, you might get it up to fifteen pounds. (Aluminum legs would save another pound, or more.)

But Jim is dead right about D12's; they're really a hard sell. Probably because less than one out of a hundred players play them. People are always buying and selling these things, though. If it was up to me, I'd say sell what you've got and buy what you want...or do a trade.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I’ve loafed a couple of MSA classics and Sho-buds, saved approx 15 lbs each, removing all not needed crossrods and brackets, it all mounts up but the necks are quite heavy being solid wood, vs an alloy hollow neck of todays guitars. I think working on a 12-16 lbs is reasonable, a split case will also help, the ABS plastic ones are super light and strong.
A.K.A Chappy.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

When I said "pedals" that included cross shafts and everything associated w the pedal removal.