Fender Steel King amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Hoke

Fender Steel King amps

Post by Jim Hoke »

What does anybody think about these amps? I hear they were only built for a couple of years. Thanks for your input. And Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

great amps , built specifically for pedal steel … Buddy used one on the recording sessions at Larry Marrs studio in Madison , and Larry told me it sounded great
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

I've got one that I love so I bought another which didn't sound as good. I'm not sure why but there does seem to be some inconsistency in their assembly (made in Mexico). it's also kind of heavy at around 55 lbs but makes a great studio amp in my opinion. I really like the XLR out option with adjustable level control.
Last edited by scott murray on 24 Nov 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
John LeMaster

Steel King

Post by John LeMaster »

I used a Steel King amp for several years. Wish I had held on to it!!

Here is a video from a few years back, playing my Sho Bud LDG straight through a Steel King. Even with the tiny microphone in a video cam on a tripod in the audience, the Steel King was crystal clear with very good tone. A powerful amp, too. Yes, it was a bit bulky....

https://youtu.be/M1jLALkHNqY
Magnum D10, Emmons D10 push-pull
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

My favorite amp especially after putting a Mod reverb tank on it. Sold my Webb amp after getting it.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I didn't like mine much at all.
Bob
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Jim, I purchased one shortly after they first came out and I've loved playing through it ever since.

To my ears, it sounds almost...almost...as good as my old Evans amp.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
David Zornes

Steel King

Post by David Zornes »

I absolutely love mine. I’d love to have another one. They get out and HONK! Buddy Emmons said it was one of the best out of the box amps he had ever played.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Bought a JazzKing when they first came out and traded it in for the new Steel King. Still have it. Id be interested to know why the amps sounded so different from what Scott hs indicated. Different years, parts/component availability, all built in Mexico?
Mine always sounded real good to my ears. Stock Eminence for Fender 15".
chuck lemasters

Post by chuck lemasters »

I tried one out on a way loud gig, side by side with my Nashville 400. I liked the tone of the Steel King better, but it broke up at levels where the Nashville 400 was still going strong….did not like the deep cabinet, loved the tone….
Tim Whitlock

Re: Steel King

Post by Tim Whitlock »

John LeMaster wrote:I used a Steel King amp for several years. Wish I had held on to it!!

Here is a video from a few years back, playing my Sho Bud LDG straight through a Steel King. Even with the tiny microphone in a video cam on a tripod in the audience, the Steel King was crystal clear with very good tone. A powerful amp, too. Yes, it was a bit bulky....

https://youtu.be/M1jLALkHNqY
Lovely tone and playing John!
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I have a Fender Jazz King that is the same amp as the Steel King. The Jazz king was rated at 140 watts as it had an 8 ohm 15 inch speaker. I put a JBL 15 inch speaker in the amp and it sounds very nice. I also changed the reverb tank to a MOD tank like Greg Cutshaw did.
I survived the sixties!
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

The Steel King was capable of producing thunderous levels of bass just like the Webb 6-14-E on C6 but those settings would greatly reduce the headroom at higher volumes like on a loud gig similar to what Chuck mentioned above. Perfect for small gigs and the studio though.