DVD/CD Rom Not visible in file explorer on 2 PCs

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Richard Sinkler

DVD/CD Rom Not visible in file explorer on 2 PCs

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Both this Dell Optiplex and my Lenovo laptop doesn't display the DVD/CD Rom in the list of drives any more, unless there is some data on the disk already. If I put it a blank disk, it will not see it or display the drive letter for the CD rom. It's happening on both PCs. It's real tough to use CDs or DVDs if file exploder won't see them. This started after the last round of "Upgrades" (damages) from MicroS#!T.

I have spent hours reading blogs from so-called experts, and none of them know crap. Nothing they suggest works. Comments on their blogs reflect the same non-results from others.

Any ideas???
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Uninstall the drive in the Device Manager then restart the PC and Windows will reinstall it. Fixes a lot of problems.

LEFT click on the Windows start icon in lower left. One option should be Device Manager.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

That didn't work. It only becomes visible if there is already data on the disc. Same result on both computers. I can't even format the discs.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've seen cases such as this if no CD burning program was installed.
Do you have a 3rd party burning program (not built in (or used to be built in) Windows)
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Richard Sinkler

I'll have to look, but I think I do have a 3rd party disc burning program. What puzzles me is my laptop. It has always shown the CD drive even with no disk in it. This Dell, I think it did ,but not positive. I did updates on both computers, and then the CD rom stopped showing up. If there is already data on the disk, it shows up in file explorer. Sure has me puzzled.