Pedal steel pioneer you'd most like to read a biography of?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

The next pedal steel pioneer's biography... who?

Jimmy Day
14%
Ralph Mooney
22%
Walter Haynes
2%
Lloyd Green
43%
Pete Drake
6%
Other (please specify)
14%

Total votes: 51

Jack Hanson

Pedal steel pioneer you'd most like to read a biography of?

Post by Jack Hanson »

Given the overall excellence and (apparent) runaway success of Mr. Fishell's recently released Buddy Emmons, Steel Guitar Icon, which other pioneering pedal steel player(s) would you most enjoy reading about?
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Mooney.
And include that quip from Waylon when Mooney’s head went down on the strings, intoxicated,
and Waylon said “ladies and gentlemen, the Moon has set!”.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Paul Franklin.
Rusty Young was the first pedal steel player I was ever aware of, then Emmons, then Paul. All three of them strike me as people who have lived full, interesting lives in addition to being exceptional musicians whose contributions to psg can’t be underestimated.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I'd say Lloyd Green, not only because of his illustrious career but because he has kept meticulous notes of every recording session he ever did and therefore can provide a wealth of detail. Plus, of all the players named, he is the only one still available to interview and fill in missing information, etc. So I'm sure it would be a very comprehensive and fascinating book, if he would agree to the project and a good writer like Steve would undertake the project.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Sneaky Pete
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

Another vote for Rusty. Was always looking forward to the book he was working on for so long. RIP
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Bobby Black.

he's seen and done it all and he's still out there doin it at age 88!
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

i'd just like to read Bruce Zumstead's book but no copies are available anymore. anyone want to sell, rent or borrow?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I just received the Emmons book.

M pick was Mooney, considering all he has recorded with and his history of early pedal mechanics.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Greg Forsyth

Shot Jackson

Post by Greg Forsyth »

Shot Jackson, a true pioneer of the pedal steel guitar and also a great player!
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Sonny Garrish because he contributed a lot to country music and the steel guitar world, and how his career inspired many steel players.
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I voted for Lloyd for the same reasons as Jim Cohen.

However, a close second for me was Pete Drake. While not the most sophisticated player, his recording career is unparalleled because of his ability to play to the song, he contributed to or instigated so many “out of the box” projects, and had a big career as a producer and studio owner. If that’s not enough, he is also responsible for helping a lot of pickers get on their feet in Nashville including Paul Franklin, I believe.

Given the above, I’m surprised Pete places so low in the poll.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Gary Hoetker

Post by Gary Hoetker »

Probably Pete Drake. Not because he is my favorite but because I think he was the most versatile and melodic.
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

My vote would go for Lloyd Green (though a big part of me would love to read about Jimmy Day's life) or Paul Franklin - both of them are alive (as Buddy Emmons was when Steve Fishell started his project), and I bet both of them would have interesting things to say about life, music, and the pedal steel guitar.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

John Hughey
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

I second that Richard.I listened to Conway when I was a teenager and always thought that John was tops.He and Buddy Charlton were my major influences.

Years ago,there was a steel show in a music store not far from my home,featuring a John Hughey.I thought"could this be him?"I went and it was him! I told him of the pleasure and joy he had given me through the years with his music.He was a nice guy and a very modest man.Still greatly missed today.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Maybe Speedy West in addition to Lloyd.

And simply based on the fact that most pedal steel players do not seem like the most exciting read, I think a Jerry Garcia biography might provide some engaging text.
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Just finished Mr. Fishell's book.... fantastic.

I also would vote for Mr. Sneaky Pete.... much adoration from Emmons is quoted in the book for Sneaky's unique approach, and mastery of the 8 string tuning.

How sad, pedal steel guitar was such an individualistic instrument in the early days.... feel sorry for the modern student facing a "standardized" copedant and tuning.
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.