1940's Epiphone Zephyr -

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

JB Bobbitt

1940's Epiphone Zephyr -

Post by JB Bobbitt »

Talk about simple construction. More pics and description on the link. No affiliation.

https://www.elderly.com/products/epipho ... steel-1940

"Time is an enemy"
-Bob Dylan
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Not a Zephyr - it's a Solo Console. Actually, not that either; the case indicates it was actually part of an Electar Grande, just missing the amp section and casters.

Anthony Blair

Post by Anthony Blair »

I've had my eye on this since it popped up, as I've got a full Electar Grande and have the dimensions to fabricate something for the missing piece that originally held the amp. ...but it's too big, and I could wait around for a solo console to pop up for cheaper & just use my existing stand.

If anybody purchases this and wants to recreate it with it's stand, I can provide the dimensions for the middle box.

With the stand, it would looks something like this:

Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Awesome, that would totally be worth restoring.
Jon Zimmerman

Ancient archives

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

These early builds heralded the console platforms to follow in later post-war models. Yet ‘lap styles’ persisted, if you were lacking a ‘crew’ to set up/tear down at venues. I think an interesting feature on the D8 seen above is the twin string mutes, just left (from player pos) of the palm rest. Set into place by raising either (or both) of them via grab bar. Takes place of a neck selector switch.. am I close to the function of these…Noah?
With those 2 ‘things’ in the way, some picking near the bridge would be compromised, I think. :?:
That aluminum (alloy?) slab under both necks I’ve never before seen up close. Or is it grey Bakelite? Anyone?[/quote]
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

Yup, the mutes take the place of a neck/pickup selector switch. Epiphone, Vega and Gibson all tried this at one time or another and soon changed to an electrical switch or separate volume controls.

And yes, that's a nickel-plated aluminum cap on top of the body. Same idea as on the Model M and Rocco.