1960s Sho Bud Fingertip 9+3 D10 - $1600

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Dave Mudgett

1960s Sho Bud Fingertip 9+3 D10 - $1600

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Update 11/7/2022: Philly show over, I still have this. Please email or PM if interested.

This guitar is a bit of a project. I got it several years back, and I planned to restore it. It is basically functional, but it's dirty and really wants a teardown, clean & refresh, and full setup. It is definitely not a closet queen, but the wood is beautiful. Looks like a mix of maple and Brazilian rosewood to me. Tuners are the earlier open-gear Grovers.

Pretty standard Emmons E9 setup - ABC pedals with E=>F on LKL and E=>Eb on RKL. 3rd lever is RKR, and is connected but not working properly. A&B pedals work as normal, but C pedal only raises 4. E=>F and E=>Eb work but action is long and feels squishy - that may be normal for these, and they do go to pitch.

C6 setup also pretty standard Emmons with a slight variation. Typical 4-8 pedals are on 4-7 and 9, with pedal 8 lowering string 3 C to B. I find myself double-footing with this C6 neck.

Electronics have an issue - C6 neck somes through loud and clear, but E9 does not. Switches and pot seem to do nothing. I suspect wiring, but I haven't investigated further at this point.

Case is what appears to be standard-issue Woody Woodell type of olive-green fiberboard case with basic plush interior. In pretty good shape, see pictures.

I was planning to do a total restore on this, but I don't think I have it in me right now. Hopefully someone out there can appreciate this one and put it back to its original glory. Pictures:

Last edited by Dave Mudgett on 7 Nov 2022 11:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bob Muller

Post by Bob Muller »

Wow great project will be a super guitar when finished.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I still have this Sho Bud Fingertip. Lots of oohs and ahhhs at the show, but there are very few steel players there.
Virgil Franklin

Fingertip?

Post by Virgil Franklin »

Would you be willing to ship?
Virgil Franklin
Justice Pro-lite 4 x 4, D10 Carter 5 x 8 1997 and 2006, S10 1977 Dekley 3x3, Boss Katana 100 Mk2 with Basslite 2012 speaker
Len Ryder

Post by Len Ryder »

I had a FingerTip for more years, and put on more miles on it than I care to admit to. Just One Great Old Axe. Last I heard it was in California.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Be still my beating heart...
I need an Emmons!
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

See opening post for update.
Brian McCulloch

Fingertip

Post by Brian McCulloch »

Hi Dave, I think I could clean this up and make it a great steel. If its still available I would love to discuss it. I send a PM but maybe it did not send. raymcculloch.music@gmail.com