Delay Pedal - Tap tuning

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Dorwart

Delay Pedal - Tap tuning

Post by David Dorwart »

I’m wondering how many tap tune their delay pedal to coincide with the beat of the song. Or do you have a general setting ( timing interval, number of repeats etc ) that works with most songs.
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

I know dotted eighth is a popular timing for delay, so in a case like that, it makes sense to be able to just tap the quarter note.

In a guitar duo I play in, on a few songs I like to turn the delay volume way up, and tap in a quarter note delay. So then if you play a scale with eighth notes, you're playing harmony with yourself! Kind of a fun trick. Or you can play half steps on the quarter note to get constant minor seconds if you want to be annoying. :lol:
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I've recently gone from shrugging about whether a pedal had a tap tempo feature to only wanting a pedal that has it. In other words, I finally learned how to use it. I can use delay much more musically now. It's another reason why the Nux delay/reverb won out over the Keeley Caverns for a place on my main board.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Jon Light, is it controls or just a tap button on the Nux that wins out over the Caverns pedal?
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

John McClung wrote:Jon Light, is it controls or just a tap button on the Nux that wins out over the Caverns pedal?
Actually, I like the pedal better, all around. Sound, features. But the Keeley has no tap tempo at all and that, now that I'm using it, makes the Nux even a bigger winner.
Steve Spitz

Keeley with tap tempo

Post by Steve Spitz »

I’ve got the Keeley Delay Work station.

It has the tap tempo, with separate delay and reverb. A ton of options.

I’m very pleased with it.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I use the tap button a lot. I like having the echo coordinated with the tempo of the song.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I’ve been using a Boss DD-6 with tap tempo since 2002. It’s very handy for syncing the repeats to the tempo of the song on the fly.