Spider tension screw

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Blazek

Spider tension screw

Post by Steve Blazek »

I just installed a new Legend cone in my Beard guitar and it does not seem as loud as with the 10 year old original, is this a problem with the spider tension screw?
how tight or loose?
Thanks
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

From Beard's website - Resonator Cone Care in the FAQ section:

A Note on tension screws
An improperly adjusted tension screw will not only kill the tone of your resonator but in the worse case, damage your cone! The cone should only have 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn of tension on it total, with the strings tuned to pitch.
Install the cone with the screw through the spider and tighten just until the head of the screw touches the top of the spider with NO tension on the screw. This is the starting point for the tension adjustment. The spider sits on the cone and the screw is just there to add a little tension. It is not there to hold the spider on the cone, (the string pressure does this). Do not use the spring that comes with most import cones that may be in your guitar! Throw the spring away, it serves no purpose!
After stringing the guitar and tuning it to pitch, you can adjust the screw. You may have to tighten the screw down until the head of the screw touches the spider again as the cone sinks with string pressure. From this point, tighten the screw 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn.

https://www.beardguitars.com/resonatorconecare
Steve Blazek

Post by Steve Blazek »

Thanks John, I giggled with it Saturday night and now it rings like a grand piano!!
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Glad to hear that Steve. As it happens I knew right where to find that info since I had the same question about 2 weeks ago. I'm glad you posted when you did because 2 weeks is about the shelf life for my memory banks these days!