Scotty Fry Pan Prototype?!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Helm

Scotty Fry Pan Prototype?!

Post by Mark Helm »

Aloha, Fellers!

Does anybody know anything about the Scotty Fry Pan guitar? This looks like it could be cast aluminum (but, no...it's wood--thanks, Scott!), tho I can't imagine the shoe is magnetized.

I seem to recall some Scotty fry pans with wooden bodies, but this is the first time I've ever seen one of these floating around.

If you have any info, please let me know, thanks!

Thanks!
Last edited by Mark Helm on 22 Apr 2022 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

I saw that, i was thinking it looked like it was wood, at least the neck. Pretty cool even if it is wood imo.
Mark Helm

It's not wood... looks like cast alum?

Post by Mark Helm »

Here's a pic of the back:

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Clearly wood IMO. You can see the grain coming through in places. Also that is a terrible headstock design--really bad string break angles.

That aside, it is really interesting because I have never seen one of these before. Did these have anything to do with Scotty's steel guitar store?
Mark Helm

Yup

Post by Mark Helm »

Yup.. I see the wood now. There was a forum post about one of these and apparently it was associated w/ Scotty's (assuming they're talking about the same guitar):

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 6e0f0b2e9e
Mark Helm

Discovered who made it!

Post by Mark Helm »

Apparently it was made by a guy named Tim Wallis from Ill..
Mark Helm

Tom confirms...

Post by Mark Helm »

The lap was made by Tom Wallis and Donnie Tate of the Axxx Custom Shop for Scotty of the Steel Guitar Convention.