2004 Choo Choo Reunion - Buddy Emmons - AUDIO ONLY

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Ferguson

2004 Choo Choo Reunion - Buddy Emmons - AUDIO ONLY

Post by Bill Ferguson »

From the 2004 Choo Choo Reunion Chattanooga, TN USA
AUDIO ONLY

At this show, Buddy got there just a few minutes before time to play. Peggy (Buddy's wife) was not feeling well and had to stay in the hotel room. Buddy was a nervous wreck, worried about Peggy.

I unloaded and put the "BLADE" together and set him up on stage. He was playing though 2 of my Peavey Nashville 1000 amps and said he felt like he could "blister the paint".

Here are the musician's, the best I remember.
Steel Guitar - Buddy Emmons
Guitar - Bobby Caldwell
Fiddle - Jim Unger
Drums - Paul Polish
Bass - Ben Brogdon
Piano - Roy Rosetta
Producer - Barry Gilreath
Sound (live and recorded) - Bill Ferguson

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/oOTxDi2HtQo
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Thanks Bill for posting this. The Big E, my favorite steel player.
Joe Krumel

Buddy

Post by Joe Krumel »

Thanks Bill. So glad we have these videos and audio recordings. His abilities were something else.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Thanks for posting that Bill. I’d like to see any other steel player pick like that well upside down.
Joel Jackson

Post by Joel Jackson »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:Thanks for posting that Bill. I’d like to see any other steel player pick like that well upside down.
:lol: So true! I recently read in the book "Detroit Country Music" that Buddy would sit on the front neck of his Fender quad and play "Remington Ride" on one of the other necks behind his back. Not bad for a 16 year old kid...
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Again, thank you so much, Mr. Ferguson. Emmons is well documented on audio & video, thanks in no small part to Bill Ferguson. These performances are essential for researching Emmons's development through the years and chronicling his legacy.

Emmons has often been described as being "unflappable," and his sense of humor is fully on display here in Chattanooga. His sense of fun always added to his music.

Does anybody remember the venue for the 2004 "Choo Choo Steel Guitar Reunion Show?" In other years it's been held at the Holiday Inn or the Clarion Hotel. I just want to be sure.

Here's the entry in the Discography and an image of the Andrew Jackson Hotel that Emmons mentions introducing "The Preacher."

Andrew Jackson Hotel Nashville, TN

Last edited by robert kramer on 10 Apr 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Robert, the 2004 choo choo was at the choo choo Holiday inn. I remember because I had money back his car up the ramp, the same one I used to back my trailer up to unload the sound system. Thanks for adding anything that I upload to anything that you do to preserve history
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Thank you for posting this Bill!! Amazing how he’d play the tunes in different ways over the years.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

I have an audio recording of jr knight fri. That show idk why I don’t have others. This was the show wear I first met my now Georgia brothers and You who I have adopted as my godfather 😉!!!

I’m curious about the sound system on this show idk what it was but whether live audio or from the board that was the best sound I’ve heard on a show in a long time.
I have listened to this one multiple times. Loved Buddy’s humor and laugh as much as his playing.
JDAWG
MULLEN G2 D-10 8X7
QUILTER 202 combo TT12
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Thank you Jeremy.

The recordedsound was mixed and recorded through the AUX send of my SRC2032 mixer, through headphones.

The live sound was mixed through the main section of the same mixer.

Peavey designed their mixers so that one mixer could actually be 2 or 3. Ingenious.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Great recording of a great performance! Thanks, Bill!