Bars of Steel Bridge Section

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Darryl Coyne

Bars of Steel Bridge Section

Post by Darryl Coyne »

Hello all, I'm working on Bars of Steel as transcribed in the Anthology book. I've always heard that Lloyd Green does not use an Eb lever so in his honor I thought I would try to learn it with bar slants instead of using the Eb lever. It's pretty straight forward until the bridge section. That part is difficult enough with the Eb lever but I can't imagine how he could have played it without one. Does anyone know if he used the Eb lever for that recording or is he even more of a wizard on the steel than I thought? Thanks for any insight.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

He uses his 2nd string a lot. Maybe that is what he is doing. Don't know for sure.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dale Rivard

Post by Dale Rivard »

Hi Darryl, Are you referring to the bridge section where the 8th string is lowered a half tone from E to Eb? If so, Lloyd does lower his 8th string from E to Eb, just not his 4th string.
Darryl Coyne

Post by Darryl Coyne »

Richard, Dale,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Dale, you are correct. I am referring to the section with the lowered 8th string. I did not realize that Lloyd lowered the 8th string. I thought he did not lower the E's at all. I found a that the voicings in the recording are possible with some difficult pedal positions and bar shifts but as good as Lloyd is, I can't imagine playing them as perfectly as he does on the recording. I'm glad to know he lowers the 8th. That puts the whole thing within reach for a weekend steeler like me. thanks again!