How do you choose?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rich Peterson

How do you choose?

Post by Rich Peterson »

My MSA Classic is the only PSG I've ever owned. Bought it new as local music store was selling off last of its steel guitar inventory, and I could afford the discounted price.

Bit I know a lot of you have owned and still own many steels, and I wonder what makes you choose to buy a particular one. What's most important?

I'm not posting a poll because I want an open ended discussion.
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

It really depends on your needs and preferences. The MSAs of the past were (and still are) some fine guitars, especially if they've been properly maintained. Guys who play out a lot focus on lighter weight steels, guys that play mostly at home weight doesn't matter as much to them. Then do you need or want a C6? if not do you prefer an S-10 or an SD-10? Or does that matter? But the main thing I would do is sit down, bar and pick on, and play every available steel in stock. Play several selections that use pedals and levers. You'll kinda know if one speaks to you more than the others. Or none of them will. It's a highly personal instrument that has to work with arms, legs, hands, knees and feet and you'll know it when you play it. Hope this helps.
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I had a D-10 Frankin that I bought new in late 82. Two reasons I bought it (1) it was the only guitar with tunable drop return compensators, at the time and (2) Mr Franklin was very open to building it the way I wanted.

Being an old timer my current guitar was selected for weight. I have a (new) GFI S-10 with pad, 30 lbs.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Hi Rich, Like you, my first steel was an MSA, a semi-classic 10 string bought from a music store. I knew nothing about them at the time but it looked well made, and was.
I tried a couple of guitars I bought at a price point. Then a Zumsteel came into my shop one day for tuning help. When I saw that instrument, I knew I had to have one. It looked good, it was rock solid like my old MSA but lighter weight, the pedal action was very light but very positive, the way the pedal board attached was easy and solid, and it sounded great when I played it.
I ordered a new one, received it in 2003 and still have it. Over the years I have seen other good guitars and a lot of them are still being built today. I played my MSA for 20 years before deciding I needed more knee levers. I owned a new Williams at one time and it was another fine instrument but the Zum was the keeper...
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I just wanted a brand new, slightly upgraded version of the used Carter I owned. Now that I have everything I could ever want in a pedal steel, including a gig-ready backup, I can’t imagine getting another one.
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Always wanted a pedal steel and finally one fell in my lap.
It was and old (in the attic)BMI.
It is now my favorite psg......(LOL)
Dan Kelly

Why I bough a

Post by Dan Kelly »

At the time I bought my "Ross Shafer" (RS) Sierra, I had owned a wide variety of steels. Wright Custom, Marlen, Sho-Bud, Mullen... played others. Having "climbed up the learning curve" on the issue of PSG playability, construction, tone and what I learned about general PSG mechanics, I was looking to purchase my "last" steel. I typically do not buy new... but I knew what I wanted and was willing to sell some gear to get it.

After really looking around and doing some serious homework, I found that Sierra was back in PSG business again. I contacted Ross and learned about his extensive background in the Mountain Bike Business. Being one of the very first pioneers in that business, he developed his talent for mechanical design and for advanced CNC programing and manufacturing. After many successful years, Ross sold the business and started to look for another outlet for his creativity. He eventually hooked up with Ed Littlefield (Steeler for Marley's Ghost). Ed is somewhat financially independent and charged Ross with a commission "to make the best PSG ever."

Ross spent more than two years getting every pedal steel he could (Blanton, Anapeg, Emmons... Everything) and cataloged all the best design features of each. Combining those ideas and his creativity +++, Ross did a ground up design... engineering every part of his creation from scratch. The big list of innovations is beyond the scope of this post, however, it is worth delving into for those who are interested. Ross made a series of "Makin' Chips" videos on you tube and that would be a great place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi4xzq_96FY

All that to say, that after learning all this, I had the confidence to put down my deposit and take the plunge on a new RS Sierra S-10. Ross made "Number 3" for me and I have had my "last" PSG since 2018. I have played it virtually every day since. The biggest problem I have had with it is that it just keeps sounding and playing better everyday.. My wife has to tear me away from it... seriously.

Sorry for the long post... caffeine and enthusiasm can be a bad combination! :-)
blah, blah, blah.
Hey You Kids! Get Off My Lawn!
blah, blah, blah.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

I ended up with a new Shafer Sierra S-10 3 x 4, kind of by accident. I live 25 minutes away from Ross and we've been friends since before he started building steels. I was kind of a vintage gear snob for a long time, playing old Buds, ZB's and Fenders. He would show me his developments and had me play a few and I honestly tried real hard not to be impressed. I did have the luxury of living with one and field testing a demo model on several gigs and sessions, with no pressure to buy. It was strictly to see how they held up in the trenches! It really grew on me. Lightweight, rock solid tuning stability, easy pedal feel. My wife said my playing instantly improved, probably because I didn't have to fight the machine. It did everything I asked it to do, and it felt good to focus more on the music than the mechanics. I'm not a full time working musician but play over 100 shows a year as a hard working weekend warrior. I use the Sierra on 99 percent of my gigs. I have no regrets about this decision. It's a great workhorse, and I still love to play and tinker with my Fenders and ZBs at home too.

Oh yeah...and it was an excellent tax write off too!!

I guess having the time to play it helped me to choose Sierra....or did Sierra choose me?! LOL!!! :lol: Seriously though, one brand of guitar might inspire you more than another so being able to try before you buy is a big help if you can swing it somehow.
Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 10 Feb 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
b0b

Post by b0b »

Like Dave Zirbel, I live in Sonoma County, California, and already knew Ross Shafer. I had played his first prototype and was really impressed with the mechanical design - specifically the ability to time the pedals precisely. At the time, there were no plans to build for market because "nobody would pay $8,000 for a single ten guitar". But the smoothness and workmanship really impressed me, so 2 years later I called up Ross and said "I would". He said that he had 3 new prototypes in the works, but the price had gone up! I figured, well, this will probably be the last guitar I'll ever buy, so okay, let's see them.

Dave and I helped test those those 3 prototypes, and I called dibs on one of them. Ross built it out with my 6+6 D6th copedent, and adjusted everything to fit me perfectly. I no longer have to fight a machine. It's like a part of me when I play. The pulls are perfectly timed. The tone is awesome - it has a Telonics type 84 pickup, precursor to the X10. And it looks absolutely beautiful, even upside down.

To me, the most important aspect of a pedal steel is ergonomics. You'll never play your best if you have move in unnatural ways to reach the pedals or push the knee levers. The tension of the pulls can't be too stiff or too light. When a guitar doesn't fit your body properly, you can't play your best. You just end up struggling against the machine.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

I also purchased a Ross Shafer Sierra.
The demo clips, Sierra's reputation, and some superb customer service led me to seriously consider buying one.
b0b highly recommended the new Sierras, and my wife said I could order one if it would be my last (I can certainly live with that). Those two points tipped the scales, and I was not disappointed.
Ross worked with me every step of the way, until my steel was ready for my 65th birthday. He even delivered the guitar himself, and when I realized a change was missing, the mistake was mine. Not to worry; as soon as Ross returned to California, he shipped me the necessary parts. I was nervous - I'm not a tinkerer, but through a couple of Skype sessions (and much sweating on my end), the missing change was completed. Ross was patient and helpful, even as I learned how wonderfully built his steels are, and always answered my questions, even after the guitar was paid off.
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
1982 Kline U12 Pedal steel
2019 Sierra U12 Pedal Steel
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Doug Taylor

Post by Doug Taylor »

3 years ago I bought my first guitar, a 70s Sierra Olympic. It was at a price I could afford and I have looked and researched several brands it still is a much better guitar than I am player so it stays!
Ralph Dorsey

How to select a PSG

Post by Ralph Dorsey »

I am relatively new to these guitars. MY former instructor Blackie Taylor had a Sierra 14 string. That was too much guitar for me at the time. I have always had my eye on a Sierra. I had heard the Infinitys at the Texas convention, but you can't get a new one and they are rare. Ross Shafer lives fairly close to me in the Bay Area. Spending some time with him in his workshop really gave me that personal feeling. Plus, an awful lot of research amd inovation went into his guitars. I am hoping to get mine this summer. This guitar is going to be my retirement reward.
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Rage against the machine!
Seriously, playability is important enough to me I didn't hop on the Emmons PP wagon.
I have an infinity, and yes if it's easy to play and sounds good you and I'm free to develop my chops.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Thanks y'all, as it was in my former life building custom and production bicycle frames and parts. The input/compliments I've received that involve inspiring more seat time (playing and riding) are the ones that mean the most to me.

Truly humbled and thankful for the leap of faith y'all took in buying one of these.

I'll never forget the phone call I got from a steeler somewhere in Alabama early in the production of the new Sierra's. "are those prices on your website typos? If not you're outta your F--king mind!"

Thanks dude, but I already new that!
Richard Alderson

Rule #1 - B0b is always right

Post by Richard Alderson »

I think its pretty well proven that all of us have bought the best and most beautiful available steels we could afford. Most players obviously want a pedal steel that sounds great ....but with great beauty too. Steel is a very emotional instrument and we want to be inspired when we play. So for most of us, it has to sound great AND look great. Of course, the mechanical precision is also indispensable.... the best designed and most excellently and precisely built pedal steels will provide a superior musical experience. I agree with Bob that after having various steels, you probably want to directly experience the ergonomics of pedals and levers before buying your next steel. That kind of means buying a new steel from an established builder, and asking Mr. Rudolph, (or whomever!) to help assure a correct fit for your feet and legs.... Or only buying used models you can try out directly. I am surprised more builders don't ask us to come in and "get measured" for our steels. B0b is right... as usual..
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

The shape of a 70s MSA footpedal on my sock'd feet is awesome.

I'd be interested in knowing what other steels have that comfy of a pedal.

I also love the string spacing and "riding high" bar and right hand feel of the old sho buds.

I like the modern mechanics / splits, tone and beauty of my lacquer Fessenden. It's weak link is uncomfortable foot pedals.

I like the idea of a P/P but I can only play it no-pedals, and apparently need to reserve a week part time to redo its copedent. :\ :\

I don't own "the perfect steel" and maybe never will - definitely have a better idea of what I like today than 20 years ago.
Last edited by Tom Gorr on 11 Feb 2022 12:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sheila Bommakanti

Post by Sheila Bommakanti »

When I was looking for a guitar, I was mindful of my budget. If I was going to spend that much money, I wanted to buy my dream steel, not just my it will do for now steel.

So for me that meant a guitar with good tone, smooth pedal/lever action, and one that stayed in tune. It also had to fit my body, there is no other instrument like pedal steel where one is so physically connected to it while playing. If you’re fighting the machine like the guys here have already said, you won’t reach your fullest potential. I also wanted to spend my money with a company that allows you to order a true custom piece, and if possible, made by an approachable, knowledgable, unpretentious builder.

I chose to save up and get a Sierra Steel made by Ross Shafer and the end result has been amazing. The process was a musician’s dream experience. Ross gets YOUR input on wood, pickups, inlay, of course your copedent and then he puts it all together in a package that fits *your* body.

A shout out to the ladies out there, and there is no way for me to say this without drawing a few chuckles but damn, anyone else get sick of the man leg spread set up for knee levers?! I don’t sit like that in real life, why would I want to sit like that under my steel?! Like I said, Ross gets your measurements and builds the guitar for YOU.

Stock features: All of his Sierras, their under carriages are clean, precise, the pedal/lever action is so smooth, quiet and the timing is as good as it can get. Cabinet drop is minimal. I must say the tone is also very cool, and the way Ross designed that sort of floating top thing really gives the guitar a great overall presence. It feels and sounds well-rounded and warm.

Oh! And if all of that was not enough, the Sierras are light guitars. Also a huge plus.

And! The customer service is awesome. That’s a value that is important to me.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Just like tuxedos and cowboy boots, look for a good fit that goes along with your physique and posture. And, if you've reached a certain age, total weight in the case is a big factor.
Michael Hill

Post by Michael Hill »

When I bought my 2nd pedal steel, my number 1 concern was tuning stability.

With my 1st pedal steel, I was always finding little tuning issues. A lot of these could be accounted for with things like extra compensator rods or tuning techniques. For example, I would tune my string 6 B pedal down with the A pedal also down. This accounted for AB cabinet drop. All of these little workarounds were an improvement but not a solution to the underlying problem. Back to my string 6 example, 6 was perfectly in tune with AB down but slightly sharp when B was down with A up.

My 2nd pedal steel was a New Sierra. The tuning stability is beyond what I hoped for. It's an absolute joy to play. I sometimes play with a little overdrive. Overdrive will really highlight any slight tuning issues. The New Sierra sounds 'In' all the time. I'm very satisfied with it.
Jos Roderkerken

Post by Jos Roderkerken »

I fell in love with the sound of the rains guitar. Never played one but when i got the chance to buy one, i just jumped into the deep end and went with it..

Now i have 2 and looking for one extra..
Why are you playing an ironingboard??

rriigghhtt
memphislim

Post by memphislim »

I've been playing for over 30 years and if I haven't owned it, I probably have it when it comes to pedal steel guitars. Amps too but that's another discussion. I have way too many steels but when I saw the design and innovation of the new Sierra I took notice. I thought "it's about time someone put some real thought into the design."

Ross impressed the hell outta me with the looks and mechanics of the guitar but no way was I gonna plop down 10G with out playing/hearing it. Couldn't do that before I ordered one so I called B0B, and picked his brain about the one he had. He raved about it so much I emailed Ross and started the production of my Sierra.

When it was ready, I flew out to the Shafer Farm as excited and skeptical as a man can be. I was fully prepared to fly home w/o a guitar, minus my deposit, if it did not live up to my high expectations. I picked that thing apart, end to end. Played, listened, adjusted and tinkered with it. Measured cabinet drop, hysteresis and tuning stability. Not only were they all good, they were the best I've seen in my 30 years of playing and repairing every major brand known. It was hard to tell exactly what tone I was getting because the only amp there was a Princeton or the likes, but I could tell the sustain was outstanding. Not leaving without that guitar I now worried about flying it home. My fears were quickly alleviated when the guitar in case was only 27lbs and was small enough to put in the overhead without any annoying flight attendant saying a thing.

After getting it home and hearing through my rig I was over the moon. After my first night on stage I was in heaven.

None of the is news to Ross as I've called, texted, emailed him several times since to thank him for making my perfect guitar.

Hell you can always earn more money, you'll never be able to buy a better guitar.
Last edited by memphislim on 12 Feb 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I’ve owned so many steels over the past short time I’ve been playing, and the only one I’ve ever kept past a few years are my Emmons Push Pull that was my 2nd guitar. The others just don’t stack up for me tone wise but having a lightweight trouble free guitar for gigs is also important. Something that is reasonably priced and lightweight that plays and sounds great can be hard to find ! My Jackson Blackjack was a guitar I wish I had kept :lol:
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Josh Yenne

Post by Josh Yenne »

Well along with b0b and Zirbel I live close to Ross and he was a good friend even BEFORE he started building steels.

I actually will never forget not long after knowing Ross.. maybe a year or so.. maybe a bit more... he was sort of "in between gigs" and I asked him "what do you want to do" and he said nearly verbatim "I'd love to get paid to build steel guitars"

Boom... sometimes you just put it out there and the universe answers.

I also remember not long into my steel career playing a gig at a winery in St. Helena... I specifically remember the scene. Like EXACTLY. Because I had to set up on long grass. So after getting on my back in the grass and tweaking the height of the pedals like 4 times.. sweating...swearing... etc.. I clearly remember calling Ross AT THE GIG and ranting about how I'd bleep love some easily adjustable rods for the height of the pedals....

Especially when beginning.. but always.. what you are set up on can have a huge difference in where you want the pedals (at least for me)

Not long after that.. less than two weeks.. he's designed and built on the fly adjustable pedal rods for the my steel at the time (I think it was my Jackson or maybe my first Show Pro)

Then he improved on it... and the final products come with the new Sierras.

I've said many times.... "Well I love Ross like family and even if the steels sucked I would have had to buy one. Luckily the man is a freaking genius and its probably the best pedal steel ever produced"

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Sierra. I have three steels and they are all great but I find myself having the Sierra set up to play at home.. and then even even when I go out to gig I break it down and take it to play.. then set it back up at home! I have multiple steels so I DON'T have to do that.

Granted I'll have my vintage Bud set up cause it has such a great vibe... and even this Ross respects as an awesome instrument... helped me set it up.. dial it in as much as possible.. hell ... even helped my wife and father find it so they could buy it as a surprise for me!

I recently had a back and forth with someone on one of my instructional videos... and I had a hard time making him understand that even if you like/love the old Sierras.... this is NOT a continuation of it...

It's not like Ross "improved" on the design... he was given full reign to just make the greatest freaking pedal steel in the world... its a WHOLE new design... granted I do not know the old Sierras but as far as I know Ross's guitars are a whole new world with no real discernible thread from the old ones.

I LOVE the old Sho Bud pickup and had one... Ross found a way to fit it... and it KILLS in the guitar... (lots of vids on my YouTube page to hear it)

I also liked a pad on my guitar mostly cause I like having a place to put my picks and bar... I did not love the "go to" solution so we figured out a different, and brilliant, one.

I could NOT be happier with my Sierra.... as others said it is the easiest playing, best timed, greatest sounding steel I've ever played.... a JOY to play. And light... Granted I still do not "prefer" the keyless but I've gotten used to it and have no problem with it.

I was honored to be part of the testing of the designs as they progressed and have a tiny tiny part in the final product I guess....

Again.. thank GOODNESS Ross is a freaking genius cause I would have bought one anyhow cause thats "my guy" but luckily it is arguably the greatest steel guitar ever built.

it is UNDER priced if anything folks!
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I was going to jokingly say "Jo Biden & Inflation" makes it possible. 3:)
But we don't want to bring up politics into this.

But yes, I have sold cars for twice and three times what I bought them just less the 5 years ago. I could say "profit".
The truth is, for what an Emmons in 1966 or a Bigsby went for in their times after Bud Isaacs did stir up everything mashing one pedal over and over again behind a thin-voiced singer singing really slowly... you would find an $8'000 to $12'000 PSG that actually works and sounds quite well, and circumventing FOUR years wait (a Bigsby for none less than Buddy Emmons to play for RAY PRICE (and Ray tried to throw extra money after it for an only few months deliver!) Ha!)... that little Sierra or Kelsey O'Neil's new real deal WrapAround Emmons guitars are a BARGAIN.

Right now, people are getting top Dollars for Rolex watches, houses, toy cars, collectible no matter how ridiculous. Seem nobody wants to hold on to money. And those who sell wonder what they can do with it before it evaporates on them.

It take TIME. I think the ONE company that figured out how to make PRO-level PSG's in large quantities and affordable was Carter Steel Guitars. And really because the had most of their parts made out of house.
I don't know how Fuji (Excel) does it, his guitar, for the complexity and quality he offers are VERY AFFORDABLE.
So, for a company that makes a SPECIALTY but HIGH QUALITY instrument INSIDE a NICHE-market... I am pretty sure, there is little to no profit. It's art-love. One can't even theorize it's a future oriente "play".

just my 2 cents... and two cents aren't worth what they used to either!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

JD, people are getting top dollar for second hand particle board and 95 civic's right now- the entire western world is dealing with inflation- friendly reminder to keep your unique political theories to yourself on this forum.
This is a great question- it takes a lot of effort to try before you buy, and is often impossible. Early on I looked at what the players I liked played and started there. There's availability and price to contend with, and the reality that anything used may be far from a good example of what the builder intended. Fundamentally, I'm looking for a reliable machine with tuning stability and good playability. Good sound is most important, and hardest to quantify/tremendously subjective- the tonal options available with amps/speakers/pedals alone is vast- but it's helpful to start with a guitar somewhere in the range of 'good sounding'.