Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Jack Hanson

Drum master Sam Lay

Post by Jack Hanson »

b March 20, 1935 Birmingham, Alabama
d January 29, 2022 Chicago, Illinois

RIP Mr. Lay. You were the greatest drummer in one of the best live bands I've ever seen.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Since you are a harmonica player yourself Jack, I'm guessing it was the Butterfield Blues Band you have seen. Or was it another group?
RIP drummer Sam Lay.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Joachim Kettner wrote:Since you are a harmonica player yourself Jack, I'm guessing it was the Butterfield Blues Band you have seen. Or was it another group?
RIP drummer Sam Lay.
I saw Paul Butterfield's various bands a number of times, Joachim, but only once with Sam Lay. I was quite young -- in junior high -- and only beginning on my musical journey.

Mr. Lay was a master of that freight train shuffle, and I've never seen or heard a drummer play cymbals like him. He was a true powerhouse drummer who played to the song (not just the drums), and fine blues vocalist as well.

It was Lay who drummed in the pickup band behind Bob from Hibbing at the infamous Newport festival in 1965.
Chris Clem

Post by Chris Clem »

Sam could play that shuffle beat better then anyone I ever saw. I saw him with the Butterfield Blues Band at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach about 1967? His version of Got My Mojo working would be right up there with Muddys. I think he also played in one of the early Mike Bloomfield band? RIP Sam.
Robert B Murphy

Post by Robert B Murphy »

I too saw him play with Paul Butterfield's band probably around the time East-West was released. I saw a while back that Sam was playing with Jim Schwall, a friend from long ago. RIP Sam.
Bob, small o.
Peter Dollard

A Memorable Gent

Post by Peter Dollard »

I saw Butterfield outdoors in the afternoon I think on the last day of the 65 festival. The Butterfield band had just got off the stage after a blistering set, hell even people who hated electric music were impressed. I went up to pay my compliments and Sam told me "Stick around kid we are just getting started"