Mildew smell

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Glenn Wilde

Mildew smell

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Anybody got a good way to get mildew smell out of an old case? I have a couple stinkers, not crazy about my guitars smelling like the underneath of a house.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Start with a pan of baking soda to absorb some of it, maybe something like fabreeze also.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

I have a few of those, some fiddle cases with bow hair bugs too (I got rid of those cases).

You can start with thorough vacuum cleaning, go over it fast w/blow dryer, leave it in the sun and possibly in a hot car in the sun but not for too long (don't apply too much heat).

I keep hearing the way the pros do it for fire/smoke damage is ozone treatment but you'd have to contact a company that does fire/flood repair to see how that works.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Thom Gustafson

Post by Thom Gustafson »

I've used Nature's Miracle with good results.
Brian Cheetham

Hockey

Post by Brian Cheetham »

You could look into spray they use to get odor out of hockey gear. There are a number of brands. They disinfect while not destroying vinyl, leather, cloth
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

If I smell mildew in my music room I usually just put on a clean t-shirt.
I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Random ideas

One of those Arm & Hammer "Fridge Fresh" doo-hickies might work. It's filled with Baking Soda and intended to soak up odors. Close the case and let it sit in there for a few days.

Or perhaps throw a few of those 'clothes dryer freshener sheets' in the case and let it sit closed for a few days.
Travis Brown

Post by Travis Brown »

Time in the sun to start.

You could try one of the charcoal bags or box of baking soda with a vent. Again, I would put it in the sun but close it with the bag/soda inside.

Pouring baking soda and letting it sit on something smelly works wonders, but it takes time and is messy. You will never vacuum all of it out if you spread it in the case.
Mike Ritchie

Post by Mike Ritchie »

I put a hand full of my wifes Downy Fresh Protect pellets in an old sock and throw that in the case for a while, your case is sure to smell "pretty" after that!
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Cool, some good ideas to try. Not much Sun lately so I'll probably start with the fridge pack thingy.
Eric Dahlhoff

Lost in the Ozone Again

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Ozone - you can buy a small ozone generator for well under $100. I've used it to get rid of tobacco smell, mildew, etc. Even get "dank" out of old rugs.
Don't breath it :eek:
here's one...
https://www.amazon.com/Enerzen-Commerci ... 00JAP7388/
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

+1 on the ozonator... I tried everything... this is the way.

I used a closet in a bathroom... the bathroom had an exhaust fan, that's important. I put all the cases (and guitar parts!) in the closet, on the shelves... the cases should be open and standing up. I ran an extension cord into the closet, put the ozonator on 'lock' (always on) and let it go for three days, with the bathroom exhaust fan running (you do *not* want to breathe ozone). Then I unplugged the ozonator's cord and left the stuff in the closet for a week.

The ozonator has proven itself useful many times since... a friend inherited a pickup truck that stank of cigarettes... a few days of ozonation fixed that. I had a tortilla fire in the kitchen (don't ask) and filled the room with dank smoke... I taped off the kitchen with paint drapes and ran the ozonator for a week.

The thing works miracles... just don't breathe that stuff, it hurts your lungs. I had to take my SM T8 completely apart (body joints everything), wiped it down with diluted bleach, then ozonated it to get rid of the smell... have you ever tried to play a guitar that had the mold so bad your eyes watered?

If you don't have a convenient closet use a big cardboard box in the garage.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

A costume designer told me to put a vodka in a small spray bottle and spray the case...the alcohol kills the bacteria and then evaporates. I've tried other methods...baking soda,fabreeze...but this vodka spray works great! Time in the sun on top helps too. She said in theatre productions there isn't usually time to launder all the costumes daily thus this method. My '46 Ric B6 has a beautiful original crushed red velvet case interior and it was overpoweringly musty. Had to repeat the process many times and it worked beautifully.
Don Downes

Post by Don Downes »

I'm with Larry. I just shower (maybe) and put on clean sweatpants (if I have 'em).

Seriously, you might want to throw in a few dryer sheets and a bag or two of silica gel. The gel will absorb the moisture. Dryer sheets are, well, they smell good.
Tele, Strat, Gretsch 12-string, 335, Yamaha Bass, Blues Deluxe Reissue, JC-120, Hammond BV, Yamaha MO8, DW Collector Series drums, Cubase, and more stuff
Nick Fryer

Post by Nick Fryer »

Coffee grounds are really good at killing odors. One method that has worked for me over the years, get a big trash bag (industrial size) and put the case inside it, open the lid and prop it open, buy a big thing of cheap coffee, put the can inside the bag, close up the bag and let it sit for a week.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Great stuff, thanks
Glenn Wilde

Re: Lost in the Ozone Again

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:Ozone - you can buy a small ozone generator for well under $100. I've used it to get rid of tobacco smell, mildew, etc. Even get "dank" out of old rugs.
Don't breath it :eek:
here's one...
https://www.amazon.com/Enerzen-Commerci ... 00JAP7388/
No dice, can't order to California😕
Eric Dahlhoff

Re: Lost in the Ozone Again

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Glenn Wilde wrote: No dice, can't order to California😕
Ohhh bummer!! I bought mine a couple years ago. You can find them on ebay and likely ship to CA.
Here's one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254030295230
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
John Viterito

Post by John Viterito »

Put a bar of Irish Spring (original, not aloe) in a ziploc plastic sandwich bag and put the open (don't ziploc close it) bag into the case and leave it there for a few weeks.
Emerald Solace acoustic laps and Rukavina steels. Can't play, but I try!
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

I usually just sprinkle a generous amount of coffee in the case, leave it a few days and vacuum it out.
I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Jim Arnold

Smelly case

Post by Jim Arnold »

Charcoal briquettes. Cheap and extremely effective. Just put several in your case, close it up, and you'll be surprised how well they work. After they've done their job, throw them away, put in a couple of new ones and your case will stay smelling fresh.
Gerard Ventura

Post by Gerard Ventura »

White vinegar- put it in an aerosal bottle and spray the affected areas liberally, then let them dry out in a low humidity environment.
Mildew absolutely hates white vinegar, & vice versa!