Quilter 202 tone question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Don Christy

Quilter 202 tone question

Post by Don Christy »

The Quilter 202 is getting great reviews and I might buy one this year.

If I get a 202 ..what is the best speaker cabinet to get the warmest tone if I were to use a 15" JBL 130 or a 15" BW?

I like the big magnets on those speakers. I think they hold the key to a steels tone if its in the right cabinet.

The cabinet will be a challenge to find because of the different woods and sizes to get the warmest tone too. This setup will be for home only.

Im looking for all your suggestions on matching speaker with cabinets.

Thank you!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Contact Rick Johnson for recommendation on cabinet size. He builds a high quality cabinet. He uses pine for his builds, and that produces a warm tone.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have a Quilter Travis Toy 12 combo which is the 202 with a Quilter 12HD speaker cabinet and a 12" Eminence Travis Toy speaker. I can get piercing highs to very warm tones out of it. Set the speaker with the back close to a wall and there can be too many lows.

Quilter makes a 15" cabinet version with an Eminence Travis Toy 15" speaker version.

I played through 15" speakers for 30+ years (JBL K-130, Peavey 1502, 1501, Eminence EPS 15C) and with what I can get with the 12", I see no need for a 15".
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jon Snyder

Post by Jon Snyder »

If I was to buy a Quilter 202 and wanted a 15" speaker,
I certainly would just get the Quilter Travis Toy 15 combo.
Cody Stewart

Post by Cody Stewart »

I play my 202 through a D130f In a Rick Johnson cab and it’s one of the best combos I’ve ever heard. I can’t imagine the tone could get any better with any amount of anything else if that makes sense. A great little amp at a bargain. Can’t get a bad tone with it no matter how I turn the knobs.
Bolt On’s: Red Belly, Brown Belly, 73 Sho~Bud Pro~II, Fender’s/Peavey’s. If it doesn't sound like 1968, then I probably won’t like it.