Six on the bottom?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Allan Revich

Six on the bottom?

Post by Allan Revich »

Putting the 6th on the bottom seems like good way to move from a major tuning to something more versatile, yet there don’t seem to be many six-string tunings where this the case.

I’ve seen references to only these two, C6 (ACEGCE) and G6 (EGDGBD or EGBGBD).

The advantage is having a minor (and m7) when you want it, and a straight ahead major tuning when that’s all you need. The disadvantage is the suboptimal placement of the 6th for playing sixth chords.

On eight-strings it’s a lot more common, but in combination with a 2nd instance mid-way through, like 6 1 3 5 6 1 3 5

Anyone out there in lap-steel-land using a tuning with the sixth down low?
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

That's what I do with A6 on an 8-string neck. But I don't use that low F# much.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I use what you call G6 on the bottom (EGDGBD), but I call it Em7/G. A double purpose tuning, because that's how I play it. For some reason, thinking of the low E as the 6th of G is meaningless to me, plus it's on the bottom so it represents a root to me. So I have two roots to choose from, minor chords and major chords, and since I play a lot of really simple chord changes I have all the II/V/I's and such like covered.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Brian Evans wrote:I use what you call G6 on the bottom (EGDGBD), but I call it Em7/G. A double purpose tuning, because that's how I play it. For some reason, thinking of the low E as the 6th of G is meaningless to me, plus it's on the bottom so it represents a root to me. So I have two roots to choose from, minor chords and major chords, and since I play a lot of really simple chord changes I have all the II/V/I's and such like covered.
Exactly as I do, with the exact same tuning! On my 7 string I’ve added back the low B, like a Dobro, for EGBDGBD.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I have one of my rescue 6-string Ultratones set up in G6 with the same intervals as standard 6-string C6, except lower in pitch (G-B-D-E-G-B low to high). I like it alot and use it alot.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Jack Hanson wrote:I have one of my rescue 6-string Ultratones set up in G6 with the same intervals as standard 6-string C6, except lower in pitch (G-B-D-E-G-B low to high). I like it alot and use it alot.
Thanks Jack. What you and (I think) Noah Miller are doing is quite common for sixth tunings; putting a 6th somewhere in the middle. I am wondering if there are other players doing what Brian and I are doing, using a tuning where the 6 (or m7 root note) is ONLY on the bottom.
Current Tunings:
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Try a “Greg Booth” search , especially on that forum. There’s a ton of stuff.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Ken Pippus wrote:Try a “Greg Booth” search , especially on that forum. There’s a ton of stuff.
Lots of interesting stuff there! Strange that his “Drop E” tuning, EBDGBD tuning hasn’t caught on with the electric steel crowd. I’ve tried that tuning, and liked it, but still prefer the version that keeps the low G, EGDGBD, or EGBGBD.

EDITED:
Corrected Greg Booth tuning.
Added reference to EGBGBD
(July 23, 2022)
Current Tunings: