Buddy Merrill

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Paul Sutherland

Buddy Merrill

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Buddy Merrill passed away Sunday December 5th, 2021 at about 4 pm. He played steel guitar and regular guitar on the Lawrence Welk Show for 20 years, and released at least one steel guitar instrumental album.
Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 6 Dec 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Daniel Dickie

Post by Daniel Dickie »

RIP Buddy
Sad to hear you are gone but your music will exist and be heard for generations to come!
I always thought his playing was exciting and because he played different styles it was more interesting as well compared to other steel players of the time
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

RIP Buddy. I have 2 of his pedal steel albums and believe he had at least 1 lap (Hawaiian) album. The first PSG album I bought was a Buddy Merrill album. I learned Steel Guitar Rag and Ka-Liga off that album and played them for decades. Buddy was one of my earliest influences. This makes me really sad.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Been following this posting for the past few days...the in enevitable has happened, RIP Buddy!

I have five of his LP albums. He was a "contemporary" pioneer of the steel guitar...pedal and non-pedal. He influnced many of us.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Sorry to hear about this! Buddy Merrill was the reason I learned to play pedal steel. Great Hawaiian and country player. I met him in 1998 in California while playing for a festival. He was with a band. I thought it was Emmons playing at first. His tone and licks were fantastic, even better than the Welk performances. After his show, I talked to him. He must have spent 1/2 hour just talking to me. Very gracious man too.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Another sad day for the steel guitar community. RIP Buddy.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Farewell to a great musician. Rest easy.
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

RIP Buddy!
One of my early childhood favorite guitarists! Loved it when he put on a cowboy hat & played C&W music on the Lawrence Welk show!🎸🎶
Gone but never forgotten!
Pat
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

So sad that Buddy never made it into the HOF. He introduced and promoted the steel guitar to millions of people through the Welk Show. What an amazing player he was.

My condolences to his family and loved ones.

RIP, Buddy

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

He was an incredible player and inspiration to me from the Lawrence Welk show. Rip Buddy.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

When I first was learning to play the Pedal Steel Guitar in the mid 1970s, I found a couple of Steel Guitar Albums by Buddy Merrill. One was a Country Album featuring his Steel Guitar playing. The other album was his "Beyond the Reef," Hawaiian Steel Guitar album. His Hawaiian Album was superb. I still view it as one of the best Hawaiian Steel Guitar Albums that I have ever listened to. RIP Buddy Merrill, you played beautiful music!
Adair Torres

Post by Adair Torres »

R.I.P. Buddy...
You will be truly missed...
Adair Torres - Boss at TowerS Steel Guitars

Zum D10 8X7 Wineberry 2010.
Emmons SD10 3X8 Black 1994.
Derby D10 8X8 Rosewood 2008.
TowerS SD10 3X5 Imbuia Mica Finish 2018
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

used to watch him back in the day every week on the welk show. a fine player indeed! RIP
Don Hemmer

Post by Don Hemmer »

Very sad news ! RIP Buddy
Chance Wilson

Post by Chance Wilson »

I still marvel at how he got that hot Spanish and Hawaiian sound through my little TV set speaker. There's a reason why it's cold and dark in California this week. RIP
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Used to watch him all the time. Rest in peace Buddy
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

Sad indeed. Yes, he should be in the Hall of Fame. Talented guitarist, steel guitarist and arranger. I am glad that I have several of his albums and lots of memories of watching him on the Lawrence Welk Show.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Did some great gigs with Buddy Merrill & Danny Michaels who won guitarist of the year by The Academy of Country Music in 1976 while at George's Roundup. RIP Buddy & Danny.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

I grew up watching & listening to Buddy Merrill, Thank You Mr Merrill for all the wonderful music you've given us.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

If Marion Hall wasn't the first pedal steel player I saw on TV as a kid, it would have been Buddy. Both were great players with great smiles. RIP Mr. M.
Don Crowl

Post by Don Crowl »

So sad hear that we lost such a huge influence in our community. Also sad for me was that I lived in & worked in Placerville for the county government for years and I missed the opportunity to meet him.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

It's my understanding that Buddy was brought to Northern California just about a year and a half ago. He had been living in So Cal (Antelope Valley I believe). Brandy Lane and her husband brought him north to live his final years on their ranch estate in Shingle Springs.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Ashley D\'Silva

Post by Ashley D\'Silva »

I first heard Buddy Merril when the Country Music Show on Radio 1 in London (Tony Blackburn) had Country Capers as their Signature tune...Never lost sight of such a catching tune.
May you rest in peace Sir.

Ashley
(West Australia)