Greg Leisz with Jackson Browne

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Russ Young

Greg Leisz with Jackson Browne

Post by Russ Young »

I was disappointed when I learned that David Lindley is not touring with Jackson Browne, but I’d say Greg Leisz is an exceptional replacement. I saw them live—along with James Taylor—a couple of weeks ago in Tacoma; you can see Jackson, Greg and the rest of the band this week on “Austin City Limits.”
https://youtu.be/Y6DouSXUfmw
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

Love it! Thanks for posting. Greg’s playing is great!
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Nice!!
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I watched it last night. One of the best shows on ACL in a while. I normally would have rather heard his own version of Take It Easy but it was impressive when he did for the most part the Eagles version in tribute to Glenn Frye.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Mike Auman

Post by Mike Auman »

More of the show is available on the PBS website till 12/12/21: https://www.pbs.org/video/jackson-browne-vrvdm9/
Long-time guitar player now working on lap steel.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

It’s been 11 years since Lindley toured with Jackson Browne.
Mark
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

I knew Lindley wouldn't be with him so I was glad to see Leisz on steel. The nice thing is that he actually got some camera time unlike most other bands where the camera is on the lead person the entire time. He had a variety of lap steel guitars and his playing was great. I need to watch the entire episode on the PBS site.
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Mark Eaton wrote:It’s been 11 years since Lindley toured with Jackson Browne.
Mark, I started to say, “There’s no way it’s been 11 years since I …”

Then I checked: it was 7/30/10 that I saw them perform together in Woodinville, WA. Tempus fugit!
Lance Clifford

Post by Lance Clifford »

Along with Greg, Jackson has a band full of major players....

I've built a number of recording studios in the Los Angeles area and word of mouth brought me up into the hills to the home of a potential client. I'm 6'-4", yet folks my own height have always seemed tall to me, so it was somewhat surprising when Val McCallum greeted me at his front door. Val is 6'-7"... Yikes!

Along with being an extraordinary guitarist, Val is good people and he and his wife Shelli were very welcoming throughout the construction of his studio in an outbuilding on the property.

Val has played and toured with Jackson for decades, and also with numerous other major artists.

Just sharing a recollection...
Matt Berg

Post by Matt Berg »

Greg Leisz is probably my favorite contemporary steel player! Thanks for sharing this.

Question about the guitar that Jackson's playing about 11 minutes into the video... It's got a F style neck and a pine body. Logo on the headstock possibly says "Butler". Rhythm pickup looks like the Dearmond 2000 design that was only used in Martin electrics. Anyone know about that piece?
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Question about the guitar that Jackson's playing about 11 minutes into the video...
The logo on the headstock is “Old Style.” Apparently it’s a custom build from the Old Style Guitar Shop in Los Angeles:

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_ ... ppeal.html

Last edited by Russ Young on 18 Nov 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

Check out the video at 0:42 he re-tunes his open strings!
without missing a lick...
Matt Berg

Post by Matt Berg »

The logo on the headstock is “Old Style.” Apparently it’s a custom build from the Old Style Guitar Shop in Los Angeles:

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_ ... ppeal.html

Thanks, Russ. Someone was selling those pickups NOS on Reverb a while ago. I love their sound.
Derek Barlas

Post by Derek Barlas »

That was fantastic - thanks for posting. What an amazing group of musicians. As well as Greg Leisz I was really struck with the lead guitarist - Val McCallum? He's so big he makes those Tele look like toys. But what a player - very tasteful and always in support of the song.
Lee Holliday

Post by Lee Holliday »

I enjoyed when Greg opened a number on the Pedal steel then halfway through hopped over and started playing the Asher short scale which had more bite
Mike McBride

Post by Mike McBride »

Just now discovered the video on Youtube. I've loved his music since the 70's.

Once while listening to JB on a PBS show back then, I told my Dad I'd rather be blind than deaf because of music like Jackson Browne's.