Changing strings on Gold Tone LS-8

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Hall

Changing strings on Gold Tone LS-8

Post by Ron Hall »

I recently acquired a Gold Tone LS-8 and when I went to change the strings I noticed that I couldn't keep the ball end of the strings from popping out of the bridge slots. It seems like I need a 3rd hand. I was able to do it but it was a major hassle. Any tips/suggestions that would make the process easier?
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

You might try jamming a Q-Tip in there while you are tuning (if there is enough space). It works well on dobros and other instruments.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

The rubber wedges used for piano tuning sometimes come in handy:
I use 'em (without the wire handle) for string changes on my push/pulls.
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

Bluetack

Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I woulda done something with a magnet, I think. Usually I can tape the ball ends into where they need to be, but I don't think that would work in this case. A magnet on the base plate leaning against the tailpiece, assuming something in there is ferrous.
Zach Lattin

Post by Zach Lattin »

I have owned a Gold Tone 8-string and agree that that bridge is a pain for changing strings. I don't know if you've tried this already, but removing the decorative cover / "palm rest" helps you get your hands down closer to where the ball-ends are supposed to catch. It's three or four Phillips screws to get that palm rest off, and removing them doesn't cause anything else on the guitar to come off in my experience. Hope that helps someone out there!
Ron Hall

Post by Ron Hall »

Yeah, I removed the palm rest. I'm going to try the blu-tack suggestion when I get a chance. I'll post my results.