CD Drive Cleaner Disc

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

George Redmon

CD Drive Cleaner Disc

Post by George Redmon »

Hey Forum Puter' Gurus,

Are those CD Rom cleaning CD's ok to use? I've heard pro's & cons on both sides. Most generally i just put a puff or two of canned air in there. I figure that should pretty much clean out anything laying in there dead or alive {Maybe i shouldn't even be a do'in that?}. I've read everything from.... they will scratch your laser, to.... the brushes on the disc come off and really mess the works up. So do they still use those, and sell'em? If so i'll order one, any recommendations? How do you guy's clean your CD Drives? Both my Computer Drives, and my Rack Mount Front Loading Drives?
Thanks George
{My Computer (mis)Use is Chronicled in "Computers For Complete And Utter Computer Challenged People" Chapter 45, 46, 47, 48, Page's 601-3406 :lol:
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Unless you are having a problem there is no need for any "cleaning". Rarely will a drive have a problem and if it does usually its at a point that it needs replaced.

I have drives that have burned hundreds of discs and there is no problems.

Years ago the "cleaning discs" were popular but for obvious reasons that fad has passed.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Thank You so kindly Mr Stoner, you pretty much covered it all. I appreciate your help and recommendations.