Milkman the Amp 100w power issue

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jon DeLorme

Milkman the Amp 100w power issue

Post by Jon DeLorme »

I’d like to start this off by saying milkmans the amp is a great unit with incredible tone. That being said I’ve been using it on stage going into a Nashville 400. The last couple gigs I’ve played the amp has powered off mid solo and doesn’t power back on until the power cable is taken out and re inserted. This obviously has been pretty stressful.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I’ve read online about class D amps having problems handling the power output when driven but not specifically to “the amp”.

If anyone has any kind of information or solution it’d be greatly appreciated. Going to remove it from my chain for the time being :( possibly until I can get some clarity on this issue. Until then it is too risky.

Thanks all
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Contact Tim and Milkman, without hesitation. He will help you, and quickly.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

are you using the "pedal out" jack on the back, which is the right one, or the speaker out, which wouldn't match the amp in it is going to?
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jon DeLorme

Post by Jon DeLorme »

Was using the headphone out into the amp input
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Definitely talk to Tim-some of the The Amps models (including mine, due to older design) do have a habit of overheating under certain conditions and shutting down until cooled off..he responds best to email...tim@pedalsteelamp.com
Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 19 Sep 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I don't own the amp, but headphone outs are usually stereo. If I had a choice between using a stereo headphone out vs. a pedal out to drive an external amp, I'd definitely use the pedal out, for sure. A headphone out is not generally intended for this kind of use.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Ah...that might be it...an impedance mismatch causing overheating somehow? Use the pedal out on the back...
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

if the headphone output sees something it doesn't like, it'll draw too much current and put the amp into protection. Use the "pedal out" when using The Amp as a pedal - the headphone amp is not meant to drive a high impedance line input