Changing pedal configuration on a Carter S-10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Barry Barnes

Changing pedal configuration on a Carter S-10

Post by Barry Barnes »

Anyone know how to change pedal configuration on a Carter S-10? I want to move the C pedal to the first pedal position. Shifting the A and b pedal over one position to the right. 1=C, 2=A, 3=B. Is this very difficult? Thanks, Barry.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Don't you bean C-B-A ? (The B pedal should stay in the center.)

And no, for anyone who knows mechanics and knows what they're doing, it's not difficult.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Just to clarify, is this a pro Carter S-10 or the Carter Starter student model?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

If it's a Pro model, the Carter website is still up with rodding charts (the shipped from factory config for Emmons and Day pedal setups)

http://steelguitar.com/roddingS10_D10.html

and discussions of how to use it

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=340088

But whatever it is, take lots of photos and make chart of where pull rods run to and from before making alterations
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

It's pretty easy. You will need to:

1. Remove the rods on the A and C pedals from the guitar by taking off the nylon nuts and pulling the rods out toward the keyhead end of the guitar. No need to touch the B pedals rods.

2. Loosen and move the pullbars (bellcranks) Inline for the new positions for the rods. You will need to remove them from the cross shift to put them into their new positions. The C pedal string 5 pullbar is already in position. Get a good quality T10 T-Handled torx wrench (or 2). I have had some of the pull bar screws that were so tight that I stripped both the torx screw AND the torx wrench. The T handle will let you use a mallet or hammer the tap on the screw to help loosen it. I have a few pullbars in my guitar that are stuck there. Using an ez-out never worked for me.

3. Put the rods into the pullbars in the same locations in the pullbar and changer that they were before. I have found that I didn't need to mess with the pedal travel. You should be done with the pedals.

Depending on the locations of your E raise and E lower knee levers, you may have to change them too. If either or both are on your left knee, you will have to swap their position. Same procedure as above. If either or both are on the right knee, they won't have to be changed.

Good luck.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.