Jim Molberg in New Zealand has left us.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Tom Bradshaw

Jim Molberg in New Zealand has left us.

Post by Tom Bradshaw »

Jim passed away yesterday. He was a dear friend of mine for over 50 years, and a blessing to all steel guitarists in New Zealand. He encouraged every budding musician to take up the steel. He was very active among existing players, bringing them together for jams and meetings. He wanted to see a SG Association formed for the Island/Country.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Tom, sorry to hear that. My prayers and condolences to the family.
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

I'm very saddened to hear this sad news! Jim was a fellow Vancouverite who visited me over twenty years ago when he came up to visit his father in Vancouver. We emailed each other since his return to his 'adopted home' of New Zealand.
Helmut Gragger

Post by Helmut Gragger »

Jim was my friend for nearly 30 years now.
In Times, when Scotty‘s magazine was still alive (and indeed I have contributed a few articles to) I was in a big confusion over tuning the steel. It appears it was me who coined the term „tampered tuning“ :lol:
He was of great help there and we sent tons of letters written on paper to and fro. He always glued beautiful NZ stamps on them, depicting outstandingly beautiful NZ animals and flowers, which I have kept to the day.

Me being in need for a decent steel amp, he recommended a domestic unit from an Auckland based firm, Jansen. After a small overhaul this still works great. An occupation which lead to some other great personal contacts here :wink:

Later, the intensity of that contact dwindled away, but in non regular times I kept coming back to See how he was doing. Beginning of the year I heard about his illness, and now his wife was kind enough to let me know. My sincere feelings for all of them and have a good journey onwards, my friend.

feel at home at: http://me.aquataur.guru
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Very sad to hear of Jim's passing, he was very supportive when I first started playing PSG... and helped get hold of a lot of stuff from guitars to strings, lessons and LP's etc ... I will forever be in his debt in that regard because without his help I may not have become a Pedal Steel guitar player at all.

RIP Jim.
Last edited by Paddy Long on 8 Nov 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Bill Bassett

So Sorry

Post by Bill Bassett »

I never had the pleasure of meeting Jim.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Sad to hear of Jim passing. Jim was a good friend and loved the pedal steel guitar