question about lowering G# strings...

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andrew Frost

question about lowering G# strings...

Post by Andrew Frost »

I've been thinking about variations of the G# to G change on strings 3&6 for standard E9. (or 3, 6 & 10/11 for ext E9/Universal).

If you have some version of this on your set up, I'd like to know what you like about it.

I've seen some players pull one string to A and lower the other to G, and others will lower both to G. I can see the harmonic/melodic advantages of all these different approaches but would like to hear other points of view.

The table here outlines a few variations. It is by no means exhaustive of all possibilities, just a handful of versions I have observed or thought about.
Obviously, the other variables in one's copedant factor in here too but this a broad strokes look at these options.

I'm particularly interested in the 4th option, where the 3rd string remains G#, and the
6th goes to A for a maj7 interval. If there's a 10th/11th string that lowers to G as well, it would be a great utility pedal that creates min11 sounds in the low register but maintains the maj7 possibilities up higher. It might demand too much selective picking though to avoid the clashing tones...

Vic Chaney

I like option 1

Post by Vic Chaney »

I put option 1 on my left knee right. It gives a whole new place for minor chords, and also gives a flatted third for a bluesy sound when playing rock or blues.
Thomas U12, Stereo Steel amp
www.chaneyproductions.com
Eric Dahlhoff

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

I have your option #1 (lower 3 & 6) on a zero pedal. I like to use it with the A pedal for a nice diminished chord. I find it easy to use that way - mashing both pedals at once.
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Andy DePaule

Same same almost

Post by Andy DePaule »

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:I have your option #1 (lower 3 & 6) on a zero pedal. I like to use it with the A pedal for a nice diminished chord. I find it easy to use that way - mashing both pedals at once.
I was going to say the same, kind of....
Thats the same place (0 Pedal) I have it and for the same reason. That cool diminished chord and the easy minors and blues licks.
Same same almost but I have my 2nd & 9th strings tuned to C# and raise them by knee levers.
I also lower my 10th string B to A on the "A" pedal that usually raises it to C#.
I do that to get A6 all the way across and all the E9th knee levers work well in the A6th pedal down position. :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Aside from all the musical thinking, I'm reluctant to lower 3. I feel it may last longer if it's left to do one thing only.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

If you have a string 6 split with pedal B and lowering it from G# > F# on a lever, you end with with your Option 3, an Adom7. Very handy!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

That split setup is so versatile I wouldn't be without it. Two objects (one pedal, one lever) give you four notes (A, G#, G, F#).
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

I lower 3, 6 and 10 on my left vertical knee. Though I seldom use it on the lowest G#.
Andrew Frost

Post by Andrew Frost »

Some great perspectives offered here, thanks fellas.

Still no thoughts on "option 4" with string 3 left untouched? :wink:
Jim Peter

Post by Jim Peter »

I have option one on my 0 pedal. By engaging that and my A pedal I have a Dom7th chord without the root note.