Return problems

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jamie Lennon

Return problems

Post by Jamie Lennon »

HELP!

So an issue started outta the blue tonight during the show.

The E string...when I hit the C pedal raise to F# it returns 8 cents sharp. Then I tune it back then when I lower it...it returns 8 cents flat?

This happened after a complete string change before soundcheck..it was fine during soundcheck then showtime...let me down....very frustrating as I couldn't play my show properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

Jamie,

The first thing I would check is the roller-nut for your E string. Loosen your E string so you can lift it off the roller-nut, and see if the roller-nut can spin freely.

You may have only a .003 or so sideways clearance on either side of the roller-nut, so a bit of gunk or no lubrication on the roller-nut could be causing your problems.

What kind of guitar do you have?

- Dave
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

I guess this is obvious but sometimes the problem might be the e string is pulling at a angle over the roller nut::: Loosen an rewind for a straight pull.
I'm sure Jamie knows this but it might help someone else that don't know.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

I guess this is obvious but sometimes the problem might be the e string is pulling at a angle. Loosen an rewind for a straight pull.
I'm sure Jamie knows this but it might help someone else that don't no.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

First thing I would do is add a tiny amount of lubricant to the changer fingers and operate the mechanism well to work it in.

Then, while playing, feel the lowering scissors with your finger underneath when the lower returns and make sure it's coming all the way back to the stop. If you can pull it back with your finger, the lower return spring needs more tension.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Since this was right after a string change, maybe wrong string installed. Easy to do with D'Addario and their color coding.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

Hmmm, Jamie,
Check your ball end to make sure it didn't slip into the finger instead of being on the finger pin or slot, depending on the guitar.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

All good suggestions. Keep in mind that if you change a string and things go bonkers, then it's either the string or how you installed it that is the source of the problem! Don't go making changes, adjusting linkages, or cranking endlessly on the tuning nut. That's NOT where the problem is.

If you fill up your car with gas, and it immediately starts to run like crap, the problem isn't the engine. (It's the gas you just put in.)