Pick Blocking Exercise

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sonny Jenkins

Pick Blocking Exercise

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

As most of my friends here know I had a right index finger joint replacement and having lots of problems (to say the least) getting that all important finger to working like it did. I'm constantly looking for good exercises and I ran across a girl on youtube doing dobro lessons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcpXTn5IhfU

So taking those same pentatonic tone and applying it the triad in any tuning, I play universal so therefore I'll try to describe the pattern I play.

String 9 8th fret (Root) 8 at the 7th fret, 8 at the 9th fret, 7 at the 8th fret,,taking it on up,,6 ate the 9th fret, 6 at the 11th fret. Cool pentatonic pattern that really helps my fingers and my left hand also. Yes there is a much "easier way to get those tones,,,but I'm doing this for the exercise. Notes would be R,b3,4,5,b7,R (I think?). Very bluesy and put on a G groove, milk it to death,,,guess it might even work over a 12 bar blues,,I, IV, V7. Easy to figure out from the triad of any tuning,,she just happens to be using a dobro.
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Good exercises for sure. 3 finger repetitive roles are always good for building strength and coordination. I think if you just get back to playing in general, you'll get your finger back in shape. Everyday!
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Paul Franklin and the PFM has a permutation exercise that would be extremely helpful .. the 24 different ways to play 4 notes up and down the neck