Stolen Moments

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Neer

Stolen Moments

Post by Mike Neer »

I recorded this for my new CD with a little help from my friend Anton Denner on flutes.

This is one of my all-time faves, composed by a great musical hero of mine, Oliver Nelson. I played with the tune for weeks until it finally felt right, and the Sol Hoopii Rickenbacher plugged into a cheap little amp was like magic. Hope you dig it.

https://mikeneer.bandcamp.com/album/kee ... -pre-order
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Gorgeous, Mike. Just pre-ordered it.
Travis Brown

Post by Travis Brown »

Beautiful work!
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Really nice, Mike. I have loved this song since the Old Days (1960s?), listening to Chuck Niles' late-night jazz show on KBCA, driving home from a gig in my Hudson.

Are you using a wah-wah in the middle of the tune?

Chris
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Chris Brooks wrote:Really nice, Mike. I have loved this song since the Old Days (1960s?), listening to Chuck Niles' late-night jazz show on KBCA, driving home from a gig in my Hudson.

Are you using a wah-wah in the middle of the tune?

Chris
That’s just the tone knob.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Would love some feedback on the overall sound/mix.
Nelson Checkoway

Post by Nelson Checkoway »

Mike - your playing is beautiful and the arrangement with flute sounds great. You ask for feedback on the sound/mix. One thing I noticed is that your steel’s EQ on the head, at both start and end of the tune, sounds thinner than during your solo and traded choruses, which (to my ears) have a fatter midrange. Almost like playing the head on the treble pickup of a guitar and the solos on the neck. Not sure if you EQ’ed differently or it’s my ears or the way the double stops in the melody “react” in the mix. If the overall mix can tolerate it, I think the more mid-infused sound better showcases your technique and tone. Playing wise-superb and thanks for this treat! -Nelson
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

as always...fine playing and a cool musical conception.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Thanks, Nelson and Bill.

I appreciate your input Nelson. Nothing changed between the head and the solos except maybe I turned up the volume on the guitar a little. I’ll see if I can use the fader to make them match levels.
Mikiya Matsuda

Post by Mikiya Matsuda »

Just pre-ordered a copy. Amazing playing. Your solo is wonderfully coherent and I really enjoyed the contrast with the flute. By the way, who is that? Monster player with endless ideas.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Happy to pre-order, Mike. I know you explored a few seeming dead-end lanes in finding your next project after Steelonious and all that time was worth it because you found another unique concept with this record and its whole approach. Love it! The flute was great surprise - especially how well the flute handed-off to there steel. Very Jim Hall-like compositional soloing on the Sol guitar too. The doo wah sounds were the icing on the cake. Lastly, Oliver Nelson was a brilliant composer.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 18 Feb 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

I love this Mike. One of the best pieces of music I've heard in awhile, and I totally dig the stripped down sound.