How much have horseshoes varied between models in 30s ricks?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ryan Lunenfeld

How much have horseshoes varied between models in 30s ricks?

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Heya, so question for all of you know in the know about rickenbachers.

How much have the horse shoes varied from the frying pan to the model b and the silver hawaiian?

I know the model 59s don't have the adjustable picks ups.

Reason why I'm asking, I've got a frying pan with a lollar pick up in it, and I've got a silver hawaiian from 37 with the original pick up. I'm wondering if I could swap them out without too much work and have a more "original" frying pan" and a very shiny hawaiian!
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

hmmm :eek:
Marc Bell

Post by Marc Bell »

I believe they are identical. I swapped a prewar bakelite Ric pickup for my A22 fry pan pickup and it fit fine. So long as they are both 1 1/2" horseshoes they should be interchangeable.
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Marc Bell wrote:I believe they are identical. I swapped a prewar bakelite Ric pickup for my A22 fry pan pickup and it fit fine. So long as they are both 1 1/2" horseshoes they should be interchangeable.
Thank you, how difficult was the swap? I've pretty new to all of this, but I really need to get my feet wet so I can really get going with it all.
Harry Sheppard

Post by Harry Sheppard »

The pickups should be the same if your Silver Hawaiian has only a single volume control and no tone control. The early Silver Hawaiians had only a volume control. You should be able to remove the strings, remove the 4 screws attaching the pickup to the body, the volume pot and the output jack as a single unit and put everything into the frypan. If the Silver Hawaiian has a tone control, then it will require a little more work.
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Thank you very much for your input! I'm going to give this a try in a little bit :D
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Ok...so started the disassembly. Starting with the Silver Hawaiian. Easy to get out the volume pot and the horseshoe. I got the nut off the output jack, once that is off, should the output simply "pop in" ? Do I have to unscrew from the inside?

I'm wondering if the jack is seized in there. it's got a fair amount of rust on the unit...so i'm wondering if that's the case?

I don't want to do damage trying to get it out!

Also, since it's open should I just spray some deoxit in the pot for safety? I remember an old vintage synth repair guy was really against deoxit saying it corroded pots over time. He was only working on maybe 40-50 year old synths...and this being 83 or so...haha...

Is it normal for the newspaper inside to be shredded up? I wanted to read! all I got was a few non shredded that were a supermarket advertisement(s)... 3 pounds for 29 cents for salmon! woohoo

Also...I noticed the lollar having the pat pending on it, same #s as the horseshoe on the Hawaiian. But under the horseshoe is a wooden? piece on either side? hmm.
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Thank you for all the info! swapped out the two, it was just an old beaten up rubber washer that was stopping the output jack from coming out. used a trusty oyster shucking knife and carefully scraped the gunk out and after that it was all smooth sailing!