Problems With Dual Pro Wiring: No Sound?!?!? HELP!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Helm

Problems With Dual Pro Wiring: No Sound?!?!? HELP!

Post by Mark Helm »

Hey, gang:

While I was checking to see why my tone wasn't working, I accidentally pulled one of the pots free of the wiring and the old capacitor broke (was prob. already dead).

I took it to a shop who soldered on a new one, but now there's no sound coming from the guitar/pickups.

The tech tried every combination of wires (it was working before I messed with it).

He looked at some Dual Pro wiring schematics (that's all Greek to me), and all he can figure is a wire from the pick-ups must be missing?

I attach pictures of what it looks like. ANYONE have ANY idea what the issue is and how to fix it???

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Will Brown

help

Post by Will Brown »

Mark it looks like in the picture that the solder job might be a little like mine not the best it looks like you have some solder that are touching each other if so its grounding each post and that could be the problem try to see if thats it
Mark Helm

Tried that...

Post by Mark Helm »

Thanks, Will, but we tried that. :?
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Am I missing something? It looks to me like a wire is missing to the output jack.
Jack Gentle Jr

Post by Jack Gentle Jr »

There is a ground wire missing on the output jack. Also there doesn't seem to be a "hot" wire connected to the volume pot where the capacitor is connected.

Can you take a photo with the pots positioned so all the terminals are visible?
Mark Helm

Does this Pic Help?

Post by Mark Helm »

Is there a wire from the pickups missing?

Here's the pics you asked for, Jack (thanks, btw):

Jack Gentle Jr

Post by Jack Gentle Jr »

Mark, if you are checking for output by plugging into the jack, with the wiring as is (not mounted on the metal plate) you wouldn't get output as there is no ground connection to the jack. But once everything is mounted on the metal plate a ground would be provided to the jack since the pot cases are grounded to the plate. There should be a connection from the jack to the volume pot, then a capacitor from there to the tone pot.

I found this photo on the internet that shows a typical wiring for a dual pro. The pot on the left is the tone. One terminal is bent back and grounded on the case.

It's out of view in the photo but the yellow wire on the volume pot connects to the output jack at the same place as the wire from the pickups.

Mark Helm

Thank, Jack!!

Post by Mark Helm »

OK, Jack...

I don't have a black wire coming from the guitar. Just the white one, as you can see, and the two others, plus that red one I have no idea what it's doing.

Which wires go where?

Here a pic:

Jack Gentle Jr

Post by Jack Gentle Jr »

For your wiring the white is equivalent to the black in my photo, and is the ground.
Jack Gentle Jr

Post by Jack Gentle Jr »

Give this a try. Rewire as shown then put all back on metal plate and see if it works. I have assumed the tone pot to be as labeled.

Mark Helm

Thank You, Jack!

Post by Mark Helm »

You, sir, are a prince, Jack Gentle.
Mark Helm

Hot

Post by Mark Helm »

Jack: Is the cloth-covered wire the the hot wire or the ground?

Just trying to make sure we get it right! And yers, you assumed correctly which was the tone.

Looks like there's 3 wires coming out o the guitar...only one is cloth-covered.

Thanks, Jack!!!
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I posted here a little over a month ago a problem I had with a triple Fender Pro that gave me fits. I knew the components were good and I had it wired right but I couldn't get any sound. Turned out that the wire coming from the pickup was so cankered that the solder wouldn't make a solid enough connection till I peeled the strands back to get into the center of the wire. Think of the battery connections on your riding lawnmower that have to be cleaned.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro