Steel Player on Wilburn Bros. Show

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J R Rose

Steel Player on Wilburn Bros. Show

Post by J R Rose »

Watched the Wilburn Bros. show Sat. evening and never could catch the steel players name. Anyone know who it was? Thanks, J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

didn't see that particular show but I believe Don Helms was first, followed by Hal Rugg, then Curly Chalker.
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I think Saturday was Don Helms.

RC
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Rick, I kinda thought that also but still unsure. He had the glasses on that he all ways wore. But he was playing a Sho-Bud guitar. I never knew he played one and with pedals. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Yes, and if you noticed he wasn't using a round bar. He was using a dobro type bar.

RC
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Actually,I went to play a gig in Virginia Beach while still in high school and I'd never seen a pedal steel guitar before,So I became facinated with the Wilborn Brothers tv shows that were on at the hotel,It took me a while to figure out what kinda instrument this was.I also remember meeting some pro wrestlers in the lounge where I was gigging,and a "Waffle House"which I thought was amazing.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Stu Schulman wrote:Actually,I went to play a gig in Virginia Beach while still in high school and I'd never seen a pedal steel guitar before,So I became facinated with the Wilborn Brothers tv shows that were on at the hotel,It took me a while to figure out what kinda instrument this was.I also remember meeting some pro wrestlers in the lounge where I was gigging,and a "Waffle House"which I thought was amazing.
Yep.The firest steel guitar I ever saw in person was the first one I bought myself. Waffle House is alive and well, traditional country music, not so much.

RC
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

Definately Don Helms. Told me he had a garage full of pedal steels
But preferred old Red.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

Don Helms played non pedal steel on all the Hank Williams recordings that he played on. Hank died new years day 1953 and in that same year the pedal steel made its debut on a record "Slowly" . That was the beginning of pedal steel for country music.
Don played a few more years with Ray Price after Hank's death. It was probably during this time that he and many other players switched to the pedals. Don said he played the pedal steel for 35 years. The Gibson non pedal was under his bed for most of that time. On all the Youtube videos I have seen of Don on the Wilburn Brothers show and live concerts with the Drifting Cowboys he is seen playing the pedal steel. This was in the years from about 1965 to 1990. It was after this that Don went back to playing non pedal and said he was going to stay with it. I guess he did.
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Thanks to all for the input, J.R.
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I saw The Drifting Cowboys at a fair in the 1980’s and Don was sitting down playing a first generation MSA.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

Only crossed paths with Don once. 1967 or 8? He was touring with Hank Jr. He played a D-10 MSA.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I was playing with Don Helms and the Malpass Brothers some years back in Liberty, N. C. and a fellow brought out one of Don's old pedal steels for him to see. It was a Sho-Bud, nine string. I never saw Don play that steel, but he apparently did on some the Drifting Cowboys reunion shows. Anyone else have any history on that guitar?
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Clyde Mattocks wrote:I was playing with Don Helms and the Malpass Brothers some years back in Liberty, N. C. and a fellow brought out one of Don's old pedal steels for him to see. It was a Sho-Bud, nine string. I never saw Don play that steel, but he apparently did on some the Drifting Cowboys reunion shows. Anyone else have any history on that guitar?
Now that you mentioned that Clyde, I think the Sho-Bud he played on The Wilburn Bothers Show may have been a 9 string.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA