sho-bud help

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck Bishop

sho-bud help

Post by Chuck Bishop »

Hi Im new to the pedal steel but I developed a love for it at a young age,my Uncle was to me a great player(Chuck Burack)but he passed not long ago and I never got the chance to pick his brain on this,anyways I just found a sho-bud transition,it has 6 pedals and 1 knee lever,how should the necks be tuned and the pedals for each neck be set up,thanks!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Hi Chuck. Welcome! The guitar you describe sounds like the Sho-Bud Baldwin crossover model from years back which had the pedals working on both necks via a switching lever. I had one for a short while and it was a beautiful instrument.

I never played it much as it was a little awkward getting the changes I am used to via the pedals v. the 8 Knees I normally use.

There are guys here that have way more knowledge about these than me, but here are some of my thoughts.

Though somewhat limited by the single knee lever, some modern changes on the E9 can be placed on the pedals if it is indeed a crossover model.

Check the links header above for tunings. I would suggest standard E9/C6 tunings. Probably lower the E's with the KL on the front neck and probably lower string 3 [C] 1/2 step on the back neck. Standard changes from the charts should work OK on the C6 tuning.

Of course you can use any tuning you like...it's just that more instructional material and input from other players might be available with these tunings.

You can learn a lot about the pedal steel with this axe. Good Luck!
Chuck Bishop

Post by Chuck Bishop »

yes crossover is it,ive had trouble finding a set up for it,the instructions I can find list few pedals and more knee levers,Id like to keep the original set up for now thanks for any help offered
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

As stated, I only played, or played with I should say, the one I had for a short while, I have long since forgotten what the pedals did on the E9 tuning.
I know some of the guys here can hook you up with the original changes on these though.

As I recall, the C6th pedals were set-up pretty much the same as the more modern guitars.

I know your steel guitar venture will bring you a lot of joy. Image
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

picture
this is how I have mine setup, but with 2 extra levers, not at all like most guitars on the knee levers.

Ernie Image

------------------
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/013139.html

Check out this thread. In additional, search the Forum for Crossover and you'll find it's one of the most talked about subjects.
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

On the old crossover I used to have the knee lever lowered the 4th and 8th strings, the 4,5 and 6 pedals had the knee lever pulls normally set up on most E9 guitars of the time. You had to play with both feet.
Chuck Bishop

Post by Chuck Bishop »

Does anyone know the original set up for this guitar?Ive searched here and google but no luck so far! thanks!for the replies so far
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Chuck-If I look around my music, I have the Original Factory setup Chart for the Sho-Bud Baldwin Crossover. It might take me a couple of days to find it. Then I can send it to you....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/
Chuck Bishop

Post by Chuck Bishop »

Wow!great thanks!
Chuck Bishop

Post by Chuck Bishop »

any word on them charts Al?also you have a great website!what a life!
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Chuck,
The way my crossover was set up on E9.
Pedals
1, 2 and 3 = regular Emmons setup.
4 = Raise strings 4 & 8 half Tone.
5 = Lower string 2 Whole tone.
6 = Lower string 1 Whole tone.

Left knee lever lowers 4 & 8 a half tone.

Pedals 4, 5 and 6 take the place of knee levers. I had to play with both feet to get all of the regular licks. I don't know if this was the standard setup or not.
C6 was a standard run of the mill setup.

Colby<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Colby Tipton on 29 November 2006 at 05:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Chuck Bishop

Post by Chuck Bishop »

thanks colby