Vibrosonic Reverb speaker replacement?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joseph Barlow

Vibrosonic Reverb speaker replacement?

Post by Joseph Barlow »

I have a 1974 Vibrosonic Reverb that my amp tech says needs a new speaker. I also need it to be lighter if I am to ever use it other than in my practice studio. I am interested in TT 15 or the Telonics 15 but they are both 4 ohm and I need 8 ohm. Do these speakers come in a 8 ohm version or do I need to be looking somewhere else? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Joseph..Antique Electronic Supply (AKA:Tubes and More) has the Sica 350 watt Bass speaker in an 8-Ohm configuration. Use the 4-Ohm version in some of my amps and cabinets, sound great and extremely light weight.
Michael Butler

Post by Michael Butler »

you'll come close to the original with an eminence.

play music!
please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Fender expected another 8 ohm speaker to be plugged into your amps AUX jack. That would effectively be a 4 ohm load, no different than using a 4 ohm speaker for the main.
(I wouldn't use the AUX if you do install a 4 ohm main speaker though!)
Marc Jenkins

Re: Vibrosonic Reverb speaker replacement?

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Joseph Barlow wrote:I have a 1974 Vibrosonic Reverb that my amp tech says needs a new speaker. I also need it to be lighter if I am to ever use it other than in my practice studio. I am interested in TT 15 or the Telonics 15 but they are both 4 ohm and I need 8 ohm. Do these speakers come in a 8 ohm version or do I need to be looking somewhere else? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Both available 8 ohm - email the manufacturers to order.
George Kimery

Vibronic Reverb replacement speaker.

Post by George Kimery »

I'm a JBL guy, so take that into consideration. I had an 8 ohm 15" D-130 that was great. I sold it because I needed a 4 ohm. They are about 10 LB. heavier than the neo speakers. I am waiting for somebody to try a D-130 in a Twin Tone Master and post their impression before I take the plunge on one.
James Holland

Post by James Holland »

I think my '70 Twin weighs 55-60 lb without any speakers. I've got a 15" Eminence that weighs close to 5 lb, 50W rating. Not my favorite speaker, but its functional. I'm a sucker for Twins/Vibrosonics with a JBL(s), and just tolerate the weight.
George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

Johnny, are you saying you have a 15" JBL in a Vibrosonic? I think that is what Dicky Overbey used. How does it sound compared to the stock 12" speakers?
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

An orange frame JBL 15” was stock in the Silverface Vibrosonic and a grey one in the brownface Vibrasonic, with a few exceptions in the later ones (EV?)
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Didn't Vibrasonics always have 15" speakers.
I know that's what mine has and it's a JBL. :D
Erv
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Yup.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

If it’s a JBL I’d have it reconed. Although you can’t get the original cones, the speaker would warrant it, unless you’re also looking for something lighter.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

JBL 15" alnico, i.e. D130f or K130, by far the most volume per watt and the clearest sound available. Deal with the weight.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

No pain, no gain! :D
Erv
George Kimery

Post by George Kimery »

The JBL's are not heavy like a PF-350. I replaced the lightweight neo speaker in my Evans SE-200 and it only added about 10 LB. but the improvement in sound made it more than worthwhile. I only have one standing gig a month, so it's not like I'm having to sluff it around a lot. The Vibrosonics were basically a Twin with one 15" speaker. I will be getting a Tone Master in a couple of weeks. I am going to disconnect the stock speakers and jump it to a D-130 in my Walker cabinet. If I like it better, then I will make a new baffle and install it into the Tone Master, assuming the Tone Master is a keeper.
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

If you're still gigging with your twin, I'd for certain go with a neo speaker. I still gig with my twin and I have a Telonics 15 in it and it sounds outstanding. I can't comment on the TT15 as I don't have one but I'm sure it's great too.
Justin Griffith

Re: Vibronic Reverb replacement speaker.

Post by Justin Griffith »

George Kimery wrote:Johnny, are you saying you have a 15" JBL in a Vibrosonic? I think that is what Dicky Overbey used. How does it sound compared to the stock 12" speakers?
Ive got Dickys old Vibrosonic it certainly has an orange JBL. I wouldn’t consider anything else for these amps. I’ve tried all the neo speakers I can find and I don’t care for them.

An EV might be ok. I haven’t tried one in there.
Emmons/Sho~Bud/Blanton, Fender/Peavey.
Telonics pedal
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The 4-ohm transformer used in the old Twin Reverbs is Fender part number 022889. The 8-ohm transformer used in the single-speaker Showman (and likely in the Vibrosonic), is part number 022897. They may be swapped out to accommodate whichever speaker you choose to use. I did this in my old TR when I went to a single fifteen.
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Another option is to use the OT from the ProTube series, 002 6478 000. 4-8-16 ohm capabilities, with a line out winding!
I used one with my AB763 Twin clone, (I had intended for a head, but now installed in a combo cab, with an SRO 15.)
Very easy to match impedance when adding an extension, (Like my K130).
Joseph Barlow

Post by Joseph Barlow »

Thanks everyone for all the good info and suggestions. The speaker that is there is a Fender PS 15 made by Cerwin Vega so I not sure if that is what came in it originally. I think I’m am going to try to find a JBL K130 or D130 as Dave suggested in earlier post. Do y’all have any opinions on one of these over the other and where I should look to locate one? Thanks again!!!
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

I fully cranked Vibrosonic can take out a vintage D130f with the original gooped paper surround, save that for somebody's BF Vibroverb. The K130 is essentially a D130f magnet and basket with a fabric surround, i.e. K or E series cone, and most D130f speakers have been reconed to that spec by now. Same magnet, gap, etc., so either unit will do.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I found an 8ohm K110 in a local Vintage shop, and installed it in a very large, deep, 1x10 Cab that came out of an old Hammond organ console.
I am currently running it from the Speaker jack of a Silver Face Fender Vibrosonic Reverb that only has two power tubes at the moment (Ken Fox told me you can run it with either the outer two or the inner two).
I would say it sounds very good for Steel here at the house, but it sounds phenomenal for electric guitar!
I took the original Orange-back JBL out of the Vibrosonic and have it in a 1x15 Cab (the amp seems lighter but it is still pretty hefty, it has casters). It sounds good too but I am really enjoying the K110 by itself!