Over The Rainbow on lap steel in the news...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David DeLoach

Over The Rainbow on lap steel in the news...

Post by David DeLoach »

The senior living center my mom is at in Nashville has been in lock down for a few days. Most of the rooms have balconies, so I cleared it with the management and took my guitar and lap steel over to serenade these folks today from a safe distance outside while they listened on their balconies.

I played for them for a couple hours - working my way around the building to other groups out on their balconies. I had a mic and talked to them and tried to encourage them. It was awesome.

I had a great time with the residents. They were so appreciative. I probably could have played the spoons and they would have clapped. :)

I was playing my Dr. Seuss inspired portable lap steel rig on wheels (see photos below). It's a 4 wheel dolly with a wire shelf zip tied to it on which I've mounted 2 Bose SP1 battery powered speakers and a wooden box/seat I made in which I have a camping power supply that provides power to my pedals. I can play anywhere for 6-7 hours with no electrical outlet. I use this in a ministry I have to the homeless. They love it.

My daughter posted a couple photos on her Twitter account and some news agencies reached out. In the Tennessean article below there is a link to my playing OVER THE RAINBOW on my Gibson EH-185. If I'd known it was going to be in the news, I would have practiced it a bit more and made a better recording. :D

I took Roy Thompson's great arrangement of OVER THE RAINBOW and added an intro and outro, and modified it for solo blues lap steel. Normally I'd play this with overdrive, but felt that for this crowd I should keep it clean.

In the Tennessean article below there is a link to the YouTube video of OVER THE RAINBOW.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2 ... 065211002/

Image[/img]

Last edited by David DeLoach on 17 Mar 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Very cool thing for you to do.
David Dawson

Post by David Dawson »

That is a very kind and innovative way to boost the spirits of those with advanced seniority, who many times feel forgotten, especially at this time of isolation due to the virus that threatens us all today. There are always opportunities to serve others and thus show the love of God if we will just look for them.
Thank you, David, for this service to your fellow man. Hopefully, others of us will think of ways to ease the burden of loneliness as well as that of need.
My hat is off to you.
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Not only cool but ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!!
Joe Elk Central Ohio
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Kudos to you David! I guess you have some "groupies" now? :wink:
Last edited by Bill Groner on 17 Mar 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Matt Perpick

Post by Matt Perpick »

Well done sir!
Shaun Barnes

Post by Shaun Barnes »

Best news I've heard all day! So thoughtful, perfect set-up for that!

I thought about playing for the line at Costco today but this is MUCH better :D
Mike Harris

Playing steel at Brentwood

Post by Mike Harris »

Well done, Dave--that is an inspiring move.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

That’s a cool rig, and even cooler thing to do.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

David, just caught your clip on our local news station in PA.... it looked like your audience was enjoying the experience as much as you. Good for you.....
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

What a wonderful use of your time and efforts. Nobody could be more appreciative than the seniors trapped in the nursing homes. I can't say it enough, but thank you for your generous gift of music to those most in need of some lift in spirit.
Lee Warren

Post by Lee Warren »

Hi David,
I can’t thank you enough for bringing some joy into the lives of those seniors and staff members.
Your tone and playing on Over The Rainbow was delightful.
Lee