Where to find live steel shows in Hawaii?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Michael Murray

Where to find live steel shows in Hawaii?

Post by Michael Murray »

Vacationing soon on Oahu and the big island. Any advise will be very appreciated.
Simmons 'Genesis', Nashville 400 amp, Goodrich pedal.
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

I am interested too. I am going in June for the 4-yearly Festival of Pacific Arts and Culture.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

I think Alan Akaka plays at Dukes in Waikiki on Fridays and Bobby Ingano plays at Dots in Wahiawa (central O'ahu), maybe Mondays or Tuesdays? The Aulani lu'au, if you can handle the Disney...may have Jeff Au Hoy on steel.

On the big island, might be a bit harder to come by...they did just have their annual steel guitar festival (that Alan organizes) there. I know there are a few players there, just not sure of any regular gigs.

Or just do what I did, pack your steel and bring the music with you! :)
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
John Limbach

Post by John Limbach »

If you get to Kauai, Ed Punua and his group play at Kalapaki Joe's in Poipu Thursdays from 6-8 pm. Reservation recommended.

As noted, lots on Oahu, Bobby Ingano at Dot's diner is my personal favorite along with Alan Akaka.

Scarce as anything on the Big Island.
Hideki Hattori

Post by Hideki Hattori »

Bobby Ingano Trio is usually at La Mariana Tiki bar and restaurant in Honolulu on Tuesday.
20’s Weissenborn, 30’s Rickenbacher A-22 Frypan, 40’s Rickenbacher B7, 40’s Dickerson MOTS, 50’s National Grande Console D8, 50’s National Dynamic, 80’s Japanese Fender Stringmaster S8, Goldtone 8 strings resonator, 2019 Clinesmith Frypan 8, 2020 Clinesmith Frypan 7
Dana Blodgett

Post by Dana Blodgett »

You might find Case Olson at Halekulani (House without a key) in Waikiki on the lanai.
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Wally Pfeifer

Post by Wally Pfeifer »

Bobby Ingano plays at The Charthouse sometimes.
Wally Pfeifer

Post by Wally Pfeifer »

Look for Greg Sardhina, too. He's around somewhere in one of the islands.
Shaun Barnes

Post by Shaun Barnes »

Dwight Tokumoto plays at Hilo Town Tavern (Big Island) with Kanakapila on most Tuesday nights