Wilburn Brothers-Hal Rugg University

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Hogan

Wilburn Brothers-Hal Rugg University

Post by Ron Hogan »

For those younger steelers. Back in the 1960's I loved everything Hal Rugg did with the Wilburn Brothers. I spent many an 8 hour day running the needle back and forth. It was like going to Rugg college! Bought lots of Wilburn Brother's albums.

45 RPM version: CLICK HERE

Live version: CLICK HERE
Last edited by Ron Hogan on 6 Jan 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

What a player Hal was. Awesome pickin'

Tony
Alexander Rehfeld

Post by Alexander Rehfeld »

Brilliant! Take a look at this clip here from the Wilburn Brothers Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pQObXNIQvo
1974 Sho Bud "The Professional"; 2017 Show Pro D 10; BJS Bar "John Hughey"; Goodrich Steel Driver III; Live Steel Strings
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

And if I am not mistaken, it's all PALM blocking.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
David Zornes

Hal Rugg

Post by David Zornes »

That’s one University I would attend faithfully!
David Gertschen

Post by David Gertschen »

Thanks for posting these great examples...He sure made it look easy!
Jerry Horch

Post by Jerry Horch »

Oh yeah...Pick it, Wilson...
Franklin D10 /Walker Sterio Steel JBL's /DigiTech Quad4/ Korg Toneworks/ Dobro DM 1000 / Santa Cruz Guitar VA
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Nice one. Here's my personal favorite... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIX6Zkh0yhU
My buddy has that blond Permanent from the video now. It freaks me out every time i get to play it.
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Brett,

Thats a great one and typical Rugg licks. I grew up cutting my teeth on that stuff. I figured I'd tab it for all.

Slow sample click here

Paul King

Post by Paul King »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMM42ILPkRA
Here is my favorite Hal Rugg kickoff. He played great on the Wilburn Brothers Show and his playing on Loretta Lynn records was as good as it gets.
Nikolai Shveitser

Post by Nikolai Shveitser »

Trying to crack the nut that is "when the tingle becomes a chill" this morning. Pardon the hilarous tablature, but does this look right to the hive mind?
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Hi Ron, are you sure he doesn't play the second string a little earlier on that intro? The pickup always sounded more dissonant to me than just 3,4,5 with pedals.

I'm not a tabber, nor do I have a guitar in front of me but I think I've played it a little differently. On the pickup.. when you drop your pedals, try playing strings 2,3,5 instead of 3,4,5 and tell me what ya think.

*edit*
I remember now. It was 3,4,5 for the two chords (a&b on the second one), then strings 2,3,5 on the 3rd and 4th chords which are on fret 15 and 16. Then on from there... I've heard he didn't have a 4th string lower at that time. Like a lot of Lloyd licks, it helps to use the 2nd string instead of the knee lever to get it to sound right.
Last edited by Brett Lanier on 4 Nov 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Brett Lanier wrote:Hi Ron, are you sure he doesn't play the second string a little earlier on that intro? The pickup always sounded more dissonant to me than just 3,4,5 with pedals.

I'm not a tabber, nor do I have a guitar in front of me but I think I've played it a little differently. On the pickup.. when you drop your pedals, try playing strings 2,3,5 instead of 3,4,5 and tell me what ya think.
Brett, see if this makes a difference. I did an update, but we can still kick the ideas around.

CLICK ME

Ron
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Here's a followup of using that lick in another intro or break.

CLICK ME

Ron
:D