Does a larger bar dampen low end?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joseph Myers

Does a larger bar dampen low end?

Post by Joseph Myers »

I have been playing with this large Dunlop 921 for awhile. I always thought it sounded fine. I then started using the old Marlen bar that came with my guitar which is smaller.
I have no idea of it's actual size. Boy the low end with that sounds amazing. Overall the bar sound just a tad brighter. Sustain is close but the 921 may be better. Now when I go back to the 921 the low end just sounds dull with terrible string separation on the low strings. Is this 921 a dud or do all large bars exhibit this?

joe
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

A smaller, lighter bar will usually give a somewhat sharper tone, but with less sustain. A larger, heavier bar will give more sustain, but with less "sharpness". The attack is reduced slightly because because there is more surface contact area with the string. (Some players hear this a a slight fuzziness on certain strings.). But the heavier bars will give improved sustain, albeit with some sacrifice in movement speed. Even the material can affect the sound slightly, so it's best to find a happy medium. All in all, it comes down to personal preference, so keep trying until you find something that suits you. ;-)

Subtle differences heard at home or in a studio are often lost when playing live with a band.
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

Try one of the BJS bars. I have been using one for several years without any problems. My old emmons bar has scratches but the BJS looks new - no scratches or dulling of the bar. I gig every week and do studio through the week.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Yes ditto on the BJS -- I personally use the 15/16th Hughey Lite version which gives me better control but weighs the same as a 7/8" ... both are brilliant !
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.