Steelin Techniques

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Litaker

Steelin Techniques

Post by William Litaker »

After many requests to post one of my weekly broadcasts I have decided to post the link to yesterdays ,July 20th broadcast. This is what we do every week. So , check it out. Keep in mind when you subscribe , you get the worksheets that tab every thing we learn. Worksheets and the video combined makes for a better learning experience.......

So check it out...Subscribe....Can't beat it....

July 20th 2019 Steelin Techniques Broadcast
https://youtu.be/uc1CxzAmcyA
William Litaker
Emmons Legrande 111
Learn TO PLAY STEEL GUITAR@
http://www.pedalsteeler.com/
Doug Taylor

Post by Doug Taylor »

I am both a new player and new subscriber. I have been with William a month now. You will not find a more helpful man than this guy. He has went above and beyond in answering my many questions. Each week you get 4 technique exercise which to my inexperienced ears sound like great back up or solo licks, an intro and a part of a song. I don’t how you can beat that for 5 bucks a week.

Once I get my basics down I expect to get a lot from these lessons.
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

I will have been doing the steelin’ techniques broadcasts for 5 years, next month. I had been playing for a long time prior to starting with William. I took a 20 year hiatus, mostly out of frustration, until 2011, when I found myself drawn to the instrument, again. As I was reaching a point of frustration, not dissimilar to the first time that I stopped, I decided to give the steelin’ techniques broadcasts a try. William’s teaching is a lot like Jeff Newman’s. I had done a few of Jeff’s seminars, when he traveled north. They were very helpful and I got something from them. The seminars were a ton of info compressed into a short period, which was a bit hard to absorb.

Doing an hour or so, weekly broadcast, is more to my learning style. With time to practice and allow the material to fester in my head, I find myself motivated and inspired to play. Among the things that I can do now that were weak 5 years ago include finding phrases, voicings and songs, without difficulty, on the E9 neck. Techniques such as blocking, chimes and getting the most out of pedals and levers have improved dramatically. One of the biggest things, for me, has been the ability to read tab on a level where it feels natural and comfortable. This alone has unlocked a lot of the secrets of the instrument.

I don’t want to sound like a member of a cult. Simply put, I’m writing this because William’s instruction works. For me it has been the most effective thing that I’ve ever done as a steel player. William is also a good guy who is very accessible to his students. He’s the real deal. I’m very grateful for what I’ve gotten form the steelin’ techniques broadcasts. I cannot recommend this program highly enough.
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
George Buechley

Post by George Buechley »

Some of the things about William's broadcasts are the little bits of information he gives you that aren't written into the techniques sheets. William has collected a ton of steel guitar secrets from some great teachers. You don't realize his teaching potential until you try to play those intros just like him or for that matter try to keep up with him on 'the amazing one pedal, two finger, three string exercise'. If you stick with him, you'll learn some pedal steel. The price is right, too. Thanks William!

George
Pre WWII Dobro, Sho~Bud Pro II Custom, Peavey Session 115, GFI Expo, Roland Cube XL80, Lil Izzy
Parnell Flynn

Post by Parnell Flynn »

I am a beginning pedal steel player and I have been a student of William’s since January of this year. I have to agree with Doug that you will not find a more helpful teacher. Although the class is not interactive William encourages students to send him videos so that he can correct issues and give you pointers. I personally have benefited greatly from this as he was able to point out and help me correct my right hand technique. He is also always ready and willing to answer questions and provide advice in regards to equipment. I would not have gotten the deal I got recently on an Evans amplifier if it were not for William’s recommendation!

As for the classes themselves I have not found a better deal out there. Every Friday William sends out an e-mail with the tab and a link to the class. The class is officially live at 1:00pm ET but he records it earlier and I enjoy taking the class live earlier in the morning. Every class consists of 4 technique exercises, an introduction and then a part of the song that we are working on that month. You will really want to have a pen with you at your guitar for these lessons to write down some of the extra fills and alternate progressions that William will play while he is going through the lesson. These are by far one of my favorite parts, William will explain why he is playing something other than what is in the tab and how you might want use such a phrase. William really loves to play steel guitar and loves the music he puts in every lesson, and this is what makes steelintechniques so great. You have a great player with a real love for great music, and the pedal steel guitar, teaching you how to play and teaching you his approach to the pedal steel guitar. Oh and you get all that for 5$ a week.
William Litaker

Post by William Litaker »

Thanks for the comments guys. I paid a lot of dues to know what little I know. Working house jobs thru the years and playing with several road bands took a toll. I really do love the instrument and always have. I would not have traded what it allowed me to do for anything !

I been doing Steelin Techniques now for about 10 years. I have people that have been with me since the beginning. Wow !

Go to my website and check out everything.; All the info is there , give it a try.....
William Litaker
Emmons Legrande 111
Learn TO PLAY STEEL GUITAR@
http://www.pedalsteeler.com/
Mike Hill

Post by Mike Hill »

I could not agree more with all the comments above. William is a great teacher and is great to deal with. The weekly broadcasts have helped my playing immensely and anytime I had a question, I could email William and I always received a quick response.
The beauty of these lessons are they are on Youtube and you can go to them anytime once you have the link. You don't have to be there at 1:00 on Saturday when it is first broadcast, you can see the lesson a day, a week, a month later or whenever your schedule permits.
You get the video, tabs and a backing track. Did someone say $5.00 a week. WoW! Best deal in town.
Joe Cook

Post by Joe Cook »

I've been watching William's broadcasts for about 160 week's! I enjoy each and every lesson a couple of times at least during the week. I have learned more than I would've thought possible during that time. William is entertaining as well as a good teacher so it gets easier with the seat time you put in. His technique lessons are worth the price alone!
Don Kuhn

Post by Don Kuhn »

Hello Newbies, just wanted to let you know for a snall fee you should join William Litaker Web Site as he will get you up and steeling very quick. William seems to always have the best of songs in his library and very easy to learn. Check out is Web Page for free @ https://youtu.be/lWC_FQb2sPw
www.pedalsteeler.com Good luck and keep on Steeln. This is just my opinion and just a subscriber.