Rusty Danmyer / Come a little closer

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charles Welhausen

Rusty Danmyer / Come a little closer

Post by Charles Welhausen »

Is Rusty Danmyer the pedal steel player on "Come a little closer" by Dierks Bentley?
The steel work in the song is so frail and beautiful. I am very new to the pedal steel.. in terms of a rig, studio editing aside, how did he get that sound?

Chris Lasher

Post by Chris Lasher »

Hi Charles,

Gary Morse did all the pedal steel on Dierks' two albums. You can email Gary yourself (he's a Forum member and a nice, patient guy), but I'll reckon the answer to your studio question is he used a Sho~Bud pedal steel and a Fender Steel King amp. I know this is his preferred equipment. I believe he also used to use a POD through Peavey amps as well, but I'm 90% sure it was the FSK on that record.
Chris Lasher

Post by Chris Lasher »

I'd like to make a few corrections/additions to my above post. Firstly, I was incorrect, Mike Johnson, Russ Pahl, and Rusty Danmyer layed down steel on Dierks Bentley's first, self-titled album; Gary Morse did not record any steel for that album. My apologies to the above mentioned players.

Second, Gary recorded through a 1960s Reissue Fender Twin Reverb for Dierks' second album, Modern Day Drifter. He did, however, record with the Fender Steel King for Sara Evan's newest album Real Fine Place, and I'll bet we can expect to hear Gary using the FSK on an upcoming Brooks & Dunn album.

For more detail on Gary's rig, get it straight from the horse's mouth (fingers?) in the following thread: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/008880.html