Shipping a tube amp

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Roger Rettig

Shipping a tube amp

Post by Roger Rettig »

What would you guys suggest? Removing the output valves and packing separately in a small box (well padded) or left in place and protected with bubble wrap?

They don't seem to want to come out easily and I'm loathe to disturb them unnecessarily.

Thanks...
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Roger..I would recommend removing the tubes , wrapping them carefully in bubble wrap, and placing them in a box that will fit into the rear of the amp..If the tubes are difficult to remove, check for metal keepers or clips installed to prevent them from falling out while the unit is in transport.
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

I bought a tube amp 4 or 5 years ago and the tubes were left in it. All the 6L6 tubes had fallen out, 2 had broken off at the socket. I thought I never would get the guide ends out, but eventually I did. Just my experience, YMMV
Regards, Norm
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks - I will persevere, then.
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Do I simply pull downwards to remove the tubes? There are some sprung half-moon like retainers.
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

David Nugent wrote:Roger..I would recommend removing the tubes , wrapping them carefully in bubble wrap, and placing them in a box that will fit into the rear of the amp..If the tubes are difficult to remove, check for metal keepers or clips installed to prevent them from falling out while the unit is in transport.
I would add--take a piece of masking tape and apply to each tube and each socket with a matching number on each, so that the tubes will go back in their original places when the new owner puts them back in. It keeps matched tubes together (if a push pull amp), and keeps the original tubes in the place where the bias was set (if it is an adjustable bias amp).

Dave
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

Roger Rettig wrote:Do I simply pull downwards to remove the tubes? There are some sprung half-moon like retainers.
Push those little half moon retainers towards the chassis so that they will let go of the tube base. While holding the retainers in that position, carefully pull the tubes straight out. You sometimes have to do a little bit of a rolling motion to get the tubes to come free, but not much of one or you can break the tube base.

Dave
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Do I simply pull downwards to remove the tubes? There are some sprung half-moon like retainers.
If you mean like these on the power tubes:
pull the springs/clips away from the tube base and then pull the tube away from the socket. I generally try to pull from the base, not the glass.

Some amps have power tube retainers more like this:
In that case, pull the retainer down to disengage from the tube, then pull the tube out.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Thanks, all.

Dave - they're like your first picture.

I will note their location as suggested.
Will Slack

Post by Will Slack »

Reverb has some helpful tips for shipping an amp. If you google 'reverb how to ship an amp,' it should come up.
Randy Gilliam

FedEx

Post by Randy Gilliam »

FedEx can pack it and ship it with tubes in it. They will insure it so if it gets damaged they will pay for it. If you pack it your insurance will not pay. I have been down this road before. Good luck.👍🏿
Alan Muir

Post by Alan Muir »

I bought an amp from Canada. Tubes were removed and bubble wrapped. It's OK to wiggle in a circular motion (the tubes) and pull. If they're really resisting, a shot of Deoxit at the base will help.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Roger, I suggest do not wiggle the tubes sideways very much, just pull strait away from amp. The center guide on the tube is plastic and it can break off very easy. Also use a soft cloth or tissue or even rubber glove to handle the glass tube. Use alcohol to clean finger prints off glass. But, If they are really hanging in their you might just want to leave them. Six one way and a half dozen the other way. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Nic Sanford

Post by Nic Sanford »

David Nugent is one amp packing fool!
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

You can rock the tubes within mm to get them out after spreading that bear trap clamp.

Trying to pull them straight out is difficult so it's ok to just move them to and fro to unstick the pins from the socket but just millimeters worth of movement slowly while pulling the tube up and out at the same time.

For packing tubes, I like to use a Lock-n-Lock food container the size of the tubes, wrapping each tube in bubble wrap and sealing them with scotch tape, making sure there is no loose space inside the container.

And then put those boxes inside the amp wrapped in bubble wrap enough to keep the boxes from launching inside the amp. Maybe tie the package to something inside the amp like a reverb tank if you're able to get your hands down in there.

Be careful cleaning and handling tubes. If they are older, vintage tubes the print will smudge like butterfly wings making it difficult to i.d. the tube. Or from heat, the print has crinkled ready to come off.

What amp is this?
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Fox Vintage, Godfrey, so not old. It's rather like an old Fender Bassman, but with a single 15" Seca.

I must say that the tubes are very resistant to being removed from their home of nine years. Having taken off the top-rear panel I'm amazed to see what a work of art this amplifier is.
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Roger Rettig wrote:Fox Vintage, Godfrey, so not old. It's rather like an old Fender Bassman, but with a single 15" Seca.

I must say that the tubes are very resistant to being removed from their home of nine years. Having taken off the top-rear panel I'm amazed to see what a work of art this amplifier is.
Roger, since you took the top off, perhaps you could spray some contact cleaner/lube onto the sockets, let it set for a while and then try to remove the tubes.

If not, find someone who might have a different approach to getting those valves out of there, going the extra mile.

Or, if that's not an option, get a block of soft foam large enough to cram in the back and support the tubes filling up the space in that area, cradling the tubes.

You may have to tailor the shape of the foam block to reach the preamp tubes while nesting the power tubes.

If you have an electric carving knife, that will cut foam easier than a blade.

You can also pack the amp upside down and mark the outside of the box, "this side up." Use denser foam sheets to line the box making the floor of the box a thicker layer in case the amp is dropped.

Either way you should be covered with the foam holding those tubes in place long enough for it to get to its destination.

But here's a primer you can watch to give you an incentive and some ideas;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfLELaWx3DE
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

That's extremely helpful, Godfrey - thank you.

I did wonder about situating the amp in an upside-down position; that way (provided that the handlers observe the 'this way up' markings) any pressure on the tubes is exerted downwards.

It occurs to me that, when I bought the amp new, it arrived with the tubes in place. It was very well packed (although I can't recall the specifics) and, of course, everything worked as it should. This isn't to discount all the suggestions that I should remove them; my instincts tell me the same thing.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Roger, I would try contacting Ken Fox and ask him what he thinks. Just a thought, J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

You can also pack the amp upside down and mark the outside of the box, "this side up."
I've always done that. It tends to make the box less top heavy too. If you've seen what a transformer trying to detach itself from a chassis due to a sudden drop looks like (screws pulled out of the chassis, dangling by one or two remaining screws, or worse yet the transformer leads), this will make a lot of sense. :-)
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

I have a couple of pieces of a soda can that I slide between the power tube and the "claws". Makes it easier to pull the tubes without having to deal with spreading the thing at the same time.
(I seem not to have the strength or dexterity in my hands I used to!)