String rattle

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Goode

String rattle

Post by Stephen Goode »

I don't get on here to often so I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem or not but I have a problem on my Mullen Discovery with an A# note on any string that has a rattling sound. It doesn't matter what string as long as it's an A# note. The lower strings is not quite as noticeable but is still there. Could it be the strings the pick up or something else? If anyone has had this problem and found a cure, I would appreciate some in site as to the cure. Thanks, Steve
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Can you hear the rattle with the guitar not plugged in? (Play an "A" note with your ear against the guitar.) This type of problem can happen in the guitar, but it's more often found in the amp. I'd suspect the speaker, first; or maybe a tube (if you use a tube amp).
Stephen Goode

Post by Stephen Goode »

Actually I can hear it only on my open upper E string with the amp off. It may do it on other strings with the amp off but my hearing is not that good even with hearing aids.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

You might try loosening the 'E' string and rotating the roller nut a 1/4 turn.
Stephen Goode

Post by Stephen Goode »

I think I should have added that my amp is only a 6 month old line 6 amp and solid state.-- Steve
Stephen Goode

Post by Stephen Goode »

The roller assy. has been removed, cleaned, and the shaft re-oiled.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Is the sound you’re hearing a “rattle” or a “buzz”? Either way, since you mention it occurs on the open E string, I’d look at where that string meets or sets on the bridge. It is very, very common for strings to gradually wear a tiny groove in the bridge or finger which then results in a buzzing sound.
Stephen Goode

Post by Stephen Goode »

Yes I did look on the changer even though the guitar is only a year old, I did notice a very light groove that you could barley feel with your finger nail and I took some steel wool and tried to buff it out the best I could but the rattle or buzz is still there. Also it's there when ever I take the bar anywhere on the neck and hit an A#/Bf. I'm thinking about new strings even though these are only about 3 or 4 months old.
Bobby D. Jones

String Rattle

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

With the strings being on the guitar for that period of time stated. Slide a piece of paper between the string and the changer finger. If the paper removes the rattle, Change strings.
Since the 4th string is raised and lowered by the D&F knee levers and raised by the C pedal it takes a lot of bending. Some strings will harden by so many bends at the changer finger, And lift up from the finger and cause the rattle.
Good Luck and back Happy Steelin.
Stephen Goode

Post by Stephen Goode »

Thanks everybody for your input, and yes I already thought about putting a piece of paper between the changer and the string and unfortunately no change. I think my last option is to change strings. Now that I've mentioned strings does anyone have any preference of one brand of strings over another?
Greg Thompson

Post by Greg Thompson »

NYXL's can't be beat.
Prototype Zum Encore,5&4 NZ made Rockit Champ 60watt and 100watt Amplifiers, Hilton Pedal,NYXL Strings